General

What you use?

Total Posts: 314
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
just been thinking as today I was on a touring site where I saw some vans with 47kg cylinders conecyed to them!!!, what size gas cylinder do you all have in your vans?
I have 2 x Calor Lites (6kg), great invention if a little costly!
Total Posts: 270
I think it would be a litttle bit dangerous and potentially damaging to carry a 47Kg gas cylinder round in the van let alone the extra weight of the thing not to mention the manual handling hazard..
Ozz
I think they were seasonal pitchs??
Total Posts: 17
Patio Gas as they come with a gauge on them so I know how much I have left
Total Posts: 67
Posted: 5 years ago
I use BP Gaslight, but I keep hearing that they are going to stop supplying soon. Do the Calor Lites use the same sort connector, does anyone know? I want to keep that connnector because it also fits the French 'cubes' I use, errr, in France.
BP has sold its cylinder side to another company so that may be why they are stopping, also there was a queston-mark over what would happen in a fire to what is really a fibreglass cylinder?!?!
Calor Lites use the standard UK POL fitting, the only cylinders in UK with a 27mm clip-on type connector is the Calor Patio range,but they are not 'Lite' cylinders.
Hope thathelps??
Thanks Billy, that does clear it up. I'd like to stay with the 27mm clip as I believe there is a cylinder that can be used when we go to Spain in January that is the same fitting. For the amount of times we use the caravan in the UK I might just stay with the French cubes.

As far as fire is concerned I think what would happen with the BP cylinders may be a bit of a no brainer. The word whoooosh springs to mind.
Total Posts: 14
I use two 6k calor lites, great for weight saving, I just wish the gauge was more accurate.
My current bottle has shown empty for my last three trips away. Surely it's got to run out soon lol
Cheers
John
the gauge can only work on pressure so by the time it drops then the cylinder is empty any way.
For testing cylinder contents I use one of those hand-held gauges for luggage. I've weighed a couple of full cylinders to get an average weight and then when I hang a used cylinder on there I can tell how much gas is gone and from that how much I have left.

However, apparently, some steel cylinders vary considerably in weight when empty. So that would mean weighing each new, full, cylinder and writing the weight on the bottle in marker pen and when you weigh it you can work out...

You know, it might be easier to wait until one runs out and switch over.
Total Posts: 14
Thought about the new Truma ultrasonic gas level detector but it only works with steel cylinders not the calor lites as apparently they have a rod through the centre of them which sends back a magnetic reading, so the sensor can't detect the gas.
Glad I asked Truma at the Nec before I ordered one.
Cheers
John