See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

General

Leaderboard

Total Posts: 17
Verified
Posted: 6 years ago
Am I alone in thinking that there is absolutely no point to the monthly prize competition on the Leaderboard? To have a chance of winning (currently) I will need to fire off over 110 messages - doesn't matter about the quality of content, just the quantity (it seems) - if I want to get anywhere near to winning the prize. Not what I'd call good marketing! - what do you all think?
Total Posts: 314
Please correct the mistakes below:
hi, its not just from the forum, as you will see most of my points (2/3rds) are from reviews of products i have purchased & reviews of sites i stayed on, also cycle routes & walks I have done, these give you 3 points, I was hoping these helped people choose products & help if visiting sites to fine some good walks/rides, maybe you should use the feedback to ask for it to be for forum posts only??
i think more people should review, etc, but thats just my opinion.
cheers
come on everyone get posting & passing on your walks, cycle routes, etc??
Total Posts: 110
i walked to the garage this morning and had to move the bikes out of the way does that count ?
Could go in both sections I think?????
Total Posts: 110
do you have to walk fast and then ride the bike ?
which every you want?!?!?
bike fast then walk slow??
Total Posts: 270
Isn't that a kind of tri-athalon but without the swimming, I ain't that energetic..
no swimming so not a tri-athalon, but they are warning of floods over winter if we keep this rain fall total up! so maybe we will all be swimming!
Better get my 1970's speedos out then...
have you seen the boat/caravan in the last practical caravan?? we will all be buying???
I rest my case, m'lud .....
Total Posts: 52
Tractorbob3 and all concerned
The quality of content within the website is of primary important and to address this issue you will notice we have invested a great deal of time and effort in integrating a flagging system throughout. If any content within the forum, news articles, reviews, walk or cycle routes is deemed to be of no benefit to other Club members it will be pulled from the website. Each member has the ability to flag any piece of content with the final decision being down to the Club administrator.

Thank you for raising the issue - I hope this has relieved your concerns.
Total Posts: 57
Tractor Bob, you make a valid point. I had a go myself last month and ran out of steam after a couple of weeks. However, there is a lot of really good advice on here and a bit of fun having a go at the leaderboard does no harm, I'm never going to win it that's for sure.
To address this the administrators could perhaps award a "post of the month" or just draw the name of one of the posters at random?
Total Posts: 67
May I, as a new member, add my two penn’orth?

I’m unlikely to get very far on the leader board, but I think those that do deserve to get something out of it. Having started forums in the past I am well aware that it needs a few people to keep battling away to make the thing work. There will be a lot of people who come on to the forum, have a look and decide that there’s insufficient to interest them and go away. I’ve had someone tell me that they’ll join a forum when it has more members. Symptomatic of an age when entertainment has to be provided, not generated. All forums and clubs start like this and they need work by a broad spectrum of the members to make them successful if they are not to degenerate into cliques.

And I will try and write a few posts as well, putting my money where my mouth is so to speak.
Total Posts: 155
I agree, this forum is for us to exchange ideas and offer help each other.
Hi intransient1, witch post do you agree with? the one that says its an waste of time? or the one that says its a good idea??
Just to clarify and confirm my position, I think the Forum is a great idea and would not want anyone to think I have suggested it is a waste of time. I applaud those who take the time and trouble to help other members or report on their experiences. I will do the same, if I can - although I cannot claim to have anything like the level of expertise shown by many of the contributors (I'm a very recent convert to the joys of caravanning). It's the 'Leaderboard' system that I found a bit strange as it COULD (and I emphasise 'COULD') encourage quantity over quality, whereas (as Kenarthur has suggested) a 'post of the month' selection might help to ensure that quality always takes precedence.
all good ideas, but what I may think is 'post of the month' you may think is not??
As for 'drawing one poster out of a hat each month' well this could mean a person making only1 post wins the prize, not really what is required to get people posting??
The forum is starting to pick up now, but the site needs more people to review, add walks,etc as these are good if you are visiting these areas, it also needs a few more sections so we can review our vans & where we buy them from would be good.
Also not everyone has the ability to add 'quality' as they (me included!!) don't have an A level in English so sometimes a few words is all it takes.
Total Posts: 14
Reviews and details of walks and cycle routes are great, but they have to be specific and from personal experience plus relevant.
Ie look at some of the reviews posted which get you extra points, looks like someone has just opened a catalogue and listed items they see with sometimes little relevance or a poor review which would be of no use to anybody else.
Ie a polo shirt, no mention of where it was bought price paid or a comparison to a similar product so how can somebody get leadership points for posting something so irrelevant.
I agree with others if points are earned in this manner, then content over quantity must play a big issue.
Cheers
John
I think some people are forgetting that a forum should be FUN!!!!

Also some people aren't as good at writting as others.
Sometimes a walk doesn't need a long detailed write up just a 'you should try this one for the views' would do??
Total Posts: 122
I thought I would just let you know that I bought a new awning direct from Dorema last season with extra storm poles straps etc+ awning mat I saved over £450 on cheapest dealers prices. and it was delivery free. The awning has not faded after being erected for 10 months not like the one I had before which was made in China and a well know name. Dorema,s are made in Holland and Yorkshire why not have a look @ www.dorema you might get your self a bargain
Errm, that's a bit random in this topic, me thinks maybe it should have been in the 'Accessories' ..Ozzy
Total Posts: 39
It would certainly seem that some people are making posts just to get on the leader board. It wouldn't take long to find post where people are simply posting to correct their spelling on a previous post. Indeed this entire thread seems to be a case in point for people simply posting for the sake of getting more points.

One member has posted to the thread 9 times. Maybe it would be better if you got the points for the first time you posted to a thread but not for subsequent posts on the same thread.
Total Posts: 56
I don't visit the site often enough to get at the bottom of the leader board
Total Posts: 56
I did not spell anything wrong in that post, but my grammar may have been a bit orft.
Have been at the top a couple of times but only to try to encourage other members to participate, I'm now leaving it to others to set the pace and bellieve rewards if offered should be for quality rather than quantity and I too feel a change is required..
Dear COC crew, any news on an 'edit button' yet??
Ozzy..
when I joined I did a lot of reveiews, walks, cycle routues, etc of all the sites & places & items I have used/had & won that months prize & that month only (got some very good items from Bulldog).
I have since posted on the forum HOPING it would get the forum going as it seems very slow going compared to say practical caravans forum that has new treads by many differant members every day where as this forum sometimes goes many days without any new posts?? why i don't know??
I would still post if no points or prizes were on offer. Maybe if it does change we will see who was posting just for the points???
I will now say sorry in this post for any spelling or grammar mistakes so Idon't have to make a second post to say it ;-)
Total Posts: 52
We have been inundated with suggestions surrounding our leaderboard incentive, to recognise your valued opinion you’ll be pleased to know we have amended the offering and are now promoting a new incentive that we feel is fairer for all and more in keeping with the spirit of the Club. Feel free to leave your feedback here, thanks again for your comments, good or bad they are always appreciated!
Thanks COC, I think the latest idea is a sound decision and well worth a trial, also like the idea of the pot size and chance of being won being boosted by 'everyones' efforts and usage of the site..
Ozz..
Page 1 of 2