Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

General

Have I left it too late?

Total Posts: 11
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
Hi guys and gals
I am new to the forum as I have just bought a little secondhand caravan about 8 weeks ago, it is a Elddis Mistral ex20 2 birth in good condition so I have just been pimping it up a little. It is now ready for the road I hope but have I left it too late for this year. It does have heating etc so just hope the days are dry or should I be looking to pack it away for the winter and make my first trip out next spring, not sure I can wait that long as we are dying to get away in it even if for only a few days...

Thanks

RChas
Total Posts: 57
Go for it, we have used the van all through the year take a good duvet and enjoy.
Total Posts: 56
Take a small fan heater, as you are connected to electricity for free, use electrickery where possible, toaster and kettle. but you only have limited supply so get as low wattage as possible, the site managers get upset if you keep tripping the sockets out. My last trip was out of season so I had mtwo power supplies connected one into the awning for the beer fridge and the one for the caravan.
Total Posts: 110
I agree go for it if nothing else the shivering will keep you warm !!
but to be serious go for it if it gets to much you can a come home
Total Posts: 270
Evening Chas, A very warm welcome to the club... I agree with me fellow forumers, you should get as much out of the van as you can, one plus point this time of year is if you're putting up an awning or pitching up for the first time at least you can do it without the curtain twitchers watching, personally I prefer to go out and offer help if I can as we've all been novices. Wrap up warm, make sure your gas tank is full, take a heater with you (preferably an oil filled radiator as less chance of fire risk), keep your van warm and enjoy. If you manage to get away, drop a line on the forum and let us know how you got on..
Best Regards.. Ozzy...
Thanks for all the encouragement we do plan to go tomorrow just for a couple of nights, I think I might have made my first mistake as I have bought a normal electric kettle and a toaster but neither of them are low wattage just hope the site ain't full and maybe not blow his trip switches.

I can always look around for some low wattage gear for next year but will make do with the ones I have bought for now.

I will report back after this week end and thanks again

Chas
Total Posts: 12
Hi All just like to make a small point hopfully its helfull. Having worked on touring sites for some years .Oil filled rads generally are too powerfull for even 16 amp hookups. Just check the ampage before buying one otherwise you will be forever triping out the van
Total Posts: 23
I hope you got away last weekend and enjoyed it. I would have to say wrap up and get out all year me and the wife plan to. I have been camping in november and enjoyed it as long as wind and rain aint to bad.
Total Posts: 270
Aljan, Have to agree with you if you're looking at a big oil filled rad but it depends on the size of the unit, the one we have is about 30cm square (12" in old money), ain't especially powerful but just strong enough to take the chill out of the air and low wattage enought not ot trip the campsite or the van breakers.
Ozzy
Thanks for all your replies I did an update thread re last week end we really did enjoy Filey Brigg the sun shone all weekend, I have bought a 500w oil filled radiator with a thermostat control today so if it gets cold at night I can set the stat just to keep the chill of the caravan I think this should be ok and not trip the hook up hopefully.

Looking forwards to our next week end

Thanks

Chas
Total Posts: 17
Hi Never too late, We have just come back from a 4 night stay in the Midlands, a good duvet and heating, I think yours comes with blow air heating and away you go, we take a low voltage heater as an extra just in case but didnt need it, Enjoy