See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

General

Newbies wanting gas advice please!

Total Posts: 7
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 7 years ago
Hi everyone, we're completely new to caravanning so this will no doubt be the first question of many so please bear with us over the next few weeks as we find our feet!
Bought a swift challenger 584 last month and also a gaslow lpg 11kg cylinder as we want to shortly tour europe and thought this a cheaper option. However we have since found out that unless the cylinder is attached to a fixed fill (which doesn't suit how we want to live) then we will be turned away from all petrol forecourts in uk never mind france,etc so don't want to take that chance. Could I have some advice please on whether to go butane or propane or 1 of each, basically anything you think we should know to make the best decision. Already spoken to the place we bought the gaslow cylinder from and they are refunding me so am basically starting from scratch. Anyone got any experience of using cylinders in UK and then France or are they not compatible? Sorry for my lack of knowledge but we've all got to start somewhere! Thanks in advance.
Total Posts: 314
Hi, any cylinder from uk will not be able to be exchanged in europe. so you need to take enough with you. i would go for 2 x calorLite 6kg if you can as it is propane & if you ever use your van in very cold winters then propane will still work, butane may not.
Hi, any cylinder from uk will not be able to be exchanged in europe. so you need to take enough with you. i would go for 2 x calorLite 6kg if you can as it is propane & if you ever use your van in very cold winters then propane will still work, butane may not.
sorry for double post, things running very slow today!!!
Total Posts: 7
Thanks for your advice Billy1. Have seen the calorlite cylinders but wasn't sure how freely they were acceptable in Europe. Will bear in mind that once we move abroad we'll have to ditch the UK cylinders and start afresh with their equivalent.
Total Posts: 270
Evening. The answer to your question is probably going to hinge on your usage & time of year for visiting europe.If you go in the summer & use electric where possible for heat & cooking (assuming you've got a microwave too) 2 x Propane 6kg cylinders should last you a fair while unless you use them a lot for cooking or you go to europe in the cooler weather, in which case your consumption could increase dramatically and you may then need to think about alternative supplies..
try to take enough as the cylinders in france say will not fit your regulators, some caravans have had a system that you fill from an autogas filling point, but I can;t work out why you would as the saving per litre will never pay off the cost of having it fitted!?!? plus you have to take your van to a service station.