General

Movers & Jacks

Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
My Bailey Ranger has a powrmover fitted and I'd wonder if anyone can tell me if it is possible to fit & use an AL-KO Side Lift Jack with it in place. Yes would be ideal, I'll save my pocket money and buy one! but if No ... what do our experienced caravanners do in the event of a puncture?

Still working on a user name and piccie, watch this space.
Total Posts: 270
How do and welcome to the club.... In my honest opinion I think that we should all start buying small trolley jacks instead of buying 'Alko' type jacks, at least that way in the event of getting a puncture in either the towing vehicle or the van you have a universal jack that will accomodate both and you don't need to worry about access points being obstructed by spare wheel carriers. Just a thought..
Total Posts: 88
trolley jacks are not a good idea as the alko chassis frame usually slopes ,we have a scissor jack the has a u/bracket on top that fits the frame perfectly (not sure whether it came with the van originally or not ) lifted mine with the trolley jack a month or so ago and it kept slipping off the chassis.so not a good idea .
Thanks guys, food for thought.
Total Posts: 18
Store your spare wheel under your bed and remove the useless Alko wheel carrier and save 13.5lbs weight. Nothing then to get in the way of your jacking point.
Total Posts: 11
Posted: 5 years ago
Gentlemen.Please be aware.that if you do use a trolley jack on your caravan...Then DO NOT jack on the chassis, This is designed to pull the van NOT to lift it....Jack under the Axle ONLY.
Total Posts: 270
Wise words,,, after extolling the virtues of using a trolley jack, I tried mine and it slipped denting the chassis rail of my new Pegasus,, poo won't be doing that again, now looking at a 'Proper' alko jack so I withdraw my previous comments wholeheartedly... Saying that I do keep my trolley jack in the car just in case I or one of my fellow campsite users need it...
Ozzy
Total Posts: 39
I only jack ours with a trolley jack under the axle.
Total Posts: 155
I also only use a trolley jack as it is more stable and easier to use.
It is always used on the axle only and I always use an axle stand as well, safety first.