General

Solar Panels

Total Posts: 4
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
I am considering investing in solar panels. I have a 2011 Swift Challenger 480 and have a connection ready on the roof. As a lone camper I do like a little TV in the evenings and breakfast. I don't want to change my 240LCD TV (pennies a bit short!!).The help I need what solar panel would you recommend and would it be worth having 2 leisure batteries?
Total Posts: 39
Hi, I'm definately no expert but a friend of mine has a Solar panel on his Senator - however he only uses it to maintain the charge on his leisure battery. I would assume the way to go would be to source the highest ampage panel you can afford then with a decent power inverter running from your leisure battery you may still be able to power your TV. Maybe two batteries would be the way to go, but have you considered one of the new genertion of 'Silent' generators?

Sorry if this isn't much help, and I hope you get sorted.

Regards ~Steve~
Total Posts: 3
We have a 120amp solar panel (one we had on motorvan before we changed). Solar Solutions do the best ones.
Some work so that if a single cell is in shadow the whole thing turns off and doesn't put anything into your battery.
The ones from Solar Solutions work differently. Every cell that is in light work to put into your battery.
We like to watch tv in evening and also charge a wheelchair and have been happy with ours whenever we have gome on rallys without electric.
The other bonus is in the winter months we can leave that battery where it is and know that it perfectly well charged up.
I think the previous reply meant 120 watt solar panel and not 120 amp. I have a 120 watt solar panel fixed on my caravan roof and never find it necessary to charge the batteries from the mains.
It is useful to have a charge controller that shows the state of charge of the battery, also make sure that the cable between the solar panel and the charge controller is the correct size. I have found that the resistance in the cable on longer runs of wire can affect the performance of the panel so I always use at least 4 sq mm cable.
Total Posts: 228
Posted: 5 years ago
please read the post retro fit solar panels it explains every thing you want to know