General

Caravan recovery after an accident?

Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
having recently been involved in a serious accident where car and caravan were total write offs I was stunned to find out that my caravan insurance will honour the cost of recovery and storage BUT I had to organise the recovery of the van. Having never been in that position before it was a VERY steep learning curve. So the question is: do anyone know of a national network of companies for caravan recovery in case of accidents? It would be peace of mind to know in case I ever need it in the future - although obviously hoping not to!
Total Posts: 39
Hi, sorry to hear of your accident, hope you & yours were ok. With regards to your question I'm sure that The Caravan Club have a recovery scheme in place with their insurance. I may stand to be corrected but I feel sure I read about it in one the the Caravan mags (Caravan/Practical Caravan - not sure which one though). It may pay to visit the Caravan Clubs website and see if anything is mentioned there. Hoped this helps.

Regards ~Steve~
The caravan club is who I am insured with and they are the ones who say you have to arrange the recovery yourself! I was stunned! As the biggest caravan organisation in the UK I had assumed they would have everything in hand but apparently not. They will cover the costs but not make the arrangements. We eventually got it recovered by the garage who recovered the car.
The camping and caravanning club have a special deal with the RAC called Arrival that covers the complete recovery of either the caravan or car or both in case of accident. I came back to UK after spending 7 weeks travelling around mainland europe only to have a major incident with the caravan. The car was OK, however the RAC recovered the caravan and placed it neatly in my slot at my local storage site
I didn't know that! I have full RAC membership too, that having been said there wasn't enough if the van left intact to be recovered as it parted company with it's cassis and had to be lifted/craned onto a flatbed recovery truck