General

tow car

Total Posts: 110
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
Hi all at the momen i have a landrover discovery2 it is a great tow car and it has never let me down ( i think i am going to regret saying that !!!! ) but due to the stupid price of fuel (its a diesel ) i am thinking of changing it for a bmw 3 touring which so the nice man in the showroom told me does 60mpg and the road fund is only £135 and as my disco does about 26mpg and cost £270 road fund theft i think you can see this seem like a very good idea my only question is will it tow my bailey california and not have a problem have any of you great people out there towed with one of these and if so was there any problems ???
Total Posts: 270
Hi Teecee, before anyone can give you any heads up, you'd need to give the full model of the Beemer you're looking at?
Ozzy.
Total Posts: 23
I have never drivin a 3series never mind towed with one but looking at figures you have the argument that the max caravan weight is to close to the kerb weight of the car.

Personaly I would load the car with some of the heavy stuff and carfully load the caravan making sure nose weight is good then drive like the good driver I'm sure you are.
Total Posts: 88
i think the ever so nice man in the garage is telling you a fair bit of porkies there to get a sale ,a 3 series beamer you'll be extremely lucky to get just over 30mpg and far less round town ,plus the excessive cost of servicing and repairs .there are plenty of large car cheap running cost vehicles out there so look around
Total Posts: 88
just to add to this i,m not talking out of my proverbial ,as i have owned and towed with a disco ,still 28mpg whatever you put on it ,i have owned but not towed with a bmw 320i 2002 model ,your choice of car will be dictated by the weight of your outfit ,which i,m not sure of but have you looked at the citroen grand picasso diesel range ,i currently have a piccasso 1.6tdi 110bhp and its got oodles of power ,and unladen returns 50-60mpg ,towing is not that much less if its mainly motorway work ,but citroen also do larger engines .worth a look ,large,reliable,tugs
Total Posts: 270
Tried looking for the specs of the BMW touring, can't find any figures that have been quoted as mpg, double check independantly before buying.
Total Posts: 12
Before you do anythig, would consider geting the Landrover chipped.
I have a tw litre Mondeo Diesel estate and pull a Hymer van which is heavy.
I have just had it chipped and have increased my fuel cnsumption from average d53mpg to 67mpg (not towing). If you want the proof, give me your email address and I will show you a photo of the display on a recent trip to France. It cost me £220 to get it chipped but boy what a difference and pay back inno time.
hi there. in January this year, we traded our 04 plate auto (tiptronic) diesel Sorento for a Audi A6 2.0 tdi manual saloon 56 plate, because the Sorri was magnificently heavy on fuel. don't get me wrong, i loved that Sorri, but i will say the A6 is a magnificent towcar. it really does do 60mpg if conditions are right, and always returns more than 30mpg towing 1300kg. obviously audi isnt bmw, but they are similar and i made the leap from 4x4 to 4x2, and i haven't regretted it, hope this helps. br john.