See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

General

mouse proofing

Total Posts: 110
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
Hi all have any of you great people got any good tips for keeping the little darlings out of my caravan while it is in storage over the winter ?
i was going to lock next doors cat in there for the winter but the present wife says that the RSPCA may well get the hump about that so i am looking for any other good ideas as it going to be stored on a farm we are a bit concerned about finding in the spring that they have been in there and made a home ( it would not be so bad if they paid rent ! )
thanks in advance
teecee
Total Posts: 270
Hi Teecee, I notice your mention of the 'present wife' are you thinking of trading her in for a new one or locking her in the caravan over the winter to scare off the mice, whatever you do, don't plug the air holes in the van, do put in mouse bait stations, & do wash/disinfect any areas suspected of previously being visited by the little critters (make sure you wear gloves when doing this though) as this will remove the scent and deter the little bu**ers from coming back.
Total Posts: 23
Hi I would put down some traps and mint is ment to deter them aswell check this link http://www.ehow.com/way_5192944_using-peppermint-mouse-deterrent.html

hope this helps you. Jamie
Total Posts: 23
Total Posts: 110
Hi thanks for all the replys as for the present wife thats not a bad idea to keep her in the van over the winter but i think the rspca may have a problem with that as i dont think that you can scare animals like that !!
but i have today bought some bait stations and some jeyes fluid as i am told the dont like the smell ( and i must say i agree with them ) and i have been told that wilkinsons do some very close wire mesh so i am going to try that as well
thanks again for all your help i will report back as soon as my perfect wife take the knife from my throat ( bless her )
Total Posts: 270
Not sure if it's readily availabel to the public but the best mouse bait is an Alphachloralose based product, this effects their temperature control almost instantly, most don't get any further than about 2-3 feet from the bait station