See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

General

Sterling caravan heater issues?

Total Posts: 72
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 5 years ago
How good is the heating when connected to the mains power? Ours seems fine with just the heater on but once I switch to any fan setting or "A" the heat seems to go and doesn't come out of the blow vents. Have checked all hot air trunking and all seem fine.
Total Posts: 228
First of all you do not state which caravan you have and what heating system is in the caravan ie Alde or gas fire or Truma? I would suspect that as you mention hot air trunking it is the blown air type, The gas fire will provide heat but when you switch to the fan it's the electric element that provides the heat for the blown air, check to see if there is any air coming out of the vents if there is then it is the element that is not working if there is not then the fan is at fault check fuses for both the element and the fan if ok then as the electric element in most vans can be run at 1kw and 2kw try both if still no heat and the fuses are ok and there is air coming out of the vents both the elements could be blown, I think but not sure there could be a reset button try that
Just remembered from my old caravan the gas fire is constructed so that no combustion gases can enter the caravan, the heating part is a large aluminium casting and the fire draws air in through the bottom of the cover inside the caravan passes it over the aluminium heating part and the hot air leaves the top of the fire via the top opening in the cover, the exhaust gasses from combustion are expelled out under the caravan or via a chimney depending which fire and caravan you have, at the back of the fire is an aluminium sheild housing the fan so the fan when operated can draw hot air and push it through the ducting. The heating can be operated on the gas or the electric or both, in some caravans it is not all that efficient but in others it can get quite warm I don't know why that is but it does happen, as in my last post determine whether the fan is working or not then see if the air is coming from the vents if no air but fan is working the ducting could have come off the fan unit, if air is coming out and the fire is on but still cold turn on the electric elements either 1kw,2kw or both if still cold, elements could be blown only way to check is use an ampmeter to see how much current is drawn when the elements are turned on, if you are not competent with either dismantelling the fire or electricity then take it to a service centre, if everthing IS working then you have got a caravan where the heating is not all that efficient, if I can remember this system is called cascade blown air heating.
If the ducting is outside underneath the caravan I have heard of people actually lagging the ducting to stop heat loss, but remember the lagging will have to be moisture resistant otherwise you will be defeating the object
Total Posts: 127
I have same problem with heat lose at the front of the caravan because the blow air pipe goes under the caravan where the door is. A fellow caravan owner recommended to fit 80mm armaflex pipe insulation to put around the blow air ducting. I have only found the insulation pipe on E-bay at the moment.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/80mm-Pipe-Insulation-Armaflex-19mm-Wall-x-2m-Class-O-Tube-/271387198672?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f2ff004d0

Chris
Yes that stuff would be ok, the code numbers that signifies which insulation it is are CO (stands for code)25(which is the wall thickness)(can be had from 6 to 32mm)and 080(which is the dia of the pipe you wish to cover) so for lets say ducting of 75mm outside dia the code would be CO32X076 best to get it if you can at the max wall thickness, the insulation can also be got with self adhesive tape to the split so that it seals once it has been put round the ducting or you could use 50mm masking tape along the length, reports say that it does make a huge difference to the heat coming from the vents once the lagging has been fitted 80mm seems to be the size required.Search for armaflex insulation on the web there are many suppliers but some require a minimum order.
Also if you cannot get the insulation with the self adhesive edges these clips are ideal for closing the joint, http://www.ebay.co.u...=item483d658ba4, cheap as chips
Total Posts: 72
Caravan is a Sterling Quartz 2012 with a Truma system, the heating work on all 3 setting so elements are fine and working but when the fan to distribute the heat the heat from the vents is far less. Interestingly some of the vents do go under the caravan so insulating them could well be the answer