General

4x4 or estate

Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 7 years ago
im looking to replace my current motor laguna 2.2dti estate to something else on the grounds of economy..it drinks diesel terrible...my van has unladen 1480kg plus extra 300kg if loaded ...dont get me wrong the laguna pulls it ok but fuel bill is terrible..so now need something with good tow limits plus economy but with limited budget..cant afford new unless win lottery...thought about xtrail untill found out its the same engine as whats in the laguna....not asking much am i hahaha....
We currently have a td5 discovery but that drinks the fuel also!! Even when not owing so funny enough we are looking at an xtrail.what does your laguna do to the gallon when pulling!
my laguna is terrible im lucky if can get 20mpg...its the 2.2dci engine same unit used in older xtrails..apparently its a common thing with this engine the older it gets the more it drinks ,even without towing i struggle to get 30mpg..im now looking at mondeo 2.0 diesels there really good all round loads room"(estate)..and got a 1800kg tow limit..thats nearly as much as the xtrail...or maybe suzuki grand vitara 2.0td..can pick up 2005 models for bargain money been reading reviews all seem good and got 1850kg tow limit plus switchable 2 or 4 wheel drive gives more flexability,,normal driving conditions in 2 wheel drive can get upto 50mpg...tempting id say
Word of caution..as i said the 2.2 laguna shares the engine with the 2.2 xtrails...i found out the very expensive way..on pre 2003 models there is a common problem..the crankshaft pulley can pull away from crankshaft something to do with type off bolt/key assembley used at the time..l was very lucky with mine had an allmighty rattle lost all power stearing whilst on m5...fortunatly i was able to pull over straight away and switch off..it was very expensive to repair and was off road for over a week as new pulley/bolt/key had to be shipped from renault direct france there is none kept in this country..it was a problem that renault rectified on post 2003 models..so if do go for xtrail go for anything after 2003/4...
Total Posts: 23
Have you looked at the volvo v70 d5 from what iv been told they are good for towing loads of space and good mpg. I had the v50 2.0d and found it to pull a ace ambassador well but its not as heavy as your van.
yes been looking at the volvo..lot of car for good money...also mondeos but think mondeo would be at its limit really...there is a ex police car sales centre not far from where we live and if can live with white as colour for car theres some real bargains go through there..but not sure how insurance is affected if ex police car...well worth looking into ..theres some stunning cars on there forecourt...
Total Posts: 4
Posted: 6 years ago
I would recommend the Mondeo as a great tow car but I only get around 36mpg when towing our Swift Challenger 924 Sport - as a previous poster has mentioned the tow weight of the Mondeo is 1800Kg which makes my combo about the perfect balance. I had self leveling rear suspension fitted when I ordered the car and that really does help with a level ride, providing the rear tyre pressures are correctly adjusted for towing. Overall I'm happy with the Mondeo. Much better on fuel than the 54reg 1.8 Vectra we had before.
Total Posts: 314
My mate has a Kia Sportage 06 model & says its the best towcar he has had!
I am changing my 02 petrol Mondeo to a Freelander as I have always wanted one & just found a great one at a good price.
I hope the Freelander may do a bit better MPG than the Mondeo towing? (the Mondeo is heavy on petrol when towing) but as my thinking is a few miles to the gallon to drive what you like is worth it??
Total Posts: 270
Currently have a 2.2 Rav 4 after changing from the mondeo. Mondeo is a great towcar BUT if you're looking for a mondy, watch out for them smoking, they have a big issue with egr valves clogging, best to get someone to follow you on a test drive if poss to see if it belches smoke on heavy acceleration which would simulate towing a van, that as well as a nearly dead clutch sounded my last mondeos death knell. Ozzy
Total Posts: 56
I'm using a Shogun 3.2 diesel, you think you have poor fuel consumption? I can tow anything but 20mpg is standard when towing. £110 to fill from almost empty, and that will take me 300 miles to Cornwall when towing. Without he caravan I use 1/2 tank for the same journey. But I don't know the caravan is there when towing
forgot to say my mate says the Kia has a 7 year warrenty! so his 06 model is only just falling out of warrenty this year!!
Total Posts: 270
Al, just noticed you mentioned the vitara, in my experience ( had 2.0 diesel and petrol grand vitaras) they look nice and are ok solo but well under powered when towing unless it's a VERY light van, wouldn't recommend at all.
Ozzy
Total Posts: 39
I also have a Mondeo and would be extatic if I could get 36 mpg when towing. I know different caravans will make a difference but I only get around 26 mpg towing but on a run when solo and driving steadily up to 60 mpg is possible
Total Posts: 67
Any 4x4 will deliver poor fuel consumption and the worst of the lot are the full-size Land Rovers. If you want to make the Saudi royal family really happy, drive a petrol V8.

Having switched from Land Rovers to a Transit I still have fuel consumprion figures that would make you weep, but anything is better than the 12mpg I got from the Disco 3.9.

But, there are some other benefits from a 4x4 and one of them is the low box, if it's a permanent four-wheel-drive like the Land Rover. Manoeuvring onto a sloping pitch can be done without overpowering the smell of barbecues with the smell of burning clutch. And even the odd hill start can be made easier by using low box second or third. Doesn't work so well with part-time systems because of transmission wind-up though.

And, if you have proper tyres, you need not get stuck in a water-logged site. But leave early or you'll find yourself towing everybody out as well.

Total Posts: 6
We currently have a nissan pathfinder which we use for towing the van and we have found it mega thirsty when towing ( 12-14mpg). We are currently looking to A) swap our beautiful but hefty 2012 buccaneer clipper to a much lighter 2013 Elddis Avante 754 (order placed :) ) and B) looking to change the pathfinder something along the lines of a vw passet or ford mondeo.
After today's weather have you decided on an estate or 4x4?
got my Freelander last weekend & am so glad I did, so much better than the mondeo estate!
I want some deaper snow to test the 4x4!
i have a set of snow chains for my shogun. I used to have a Ford Maverick 4x4 which had really chunky tyres, i used snow chains on that a couple of years ago. nothing could stop me in the snow, got all the staff to work, but my petrol consumption would have scared the refuellers of the space shuttle... it only had a 2ltr mondeo engine in it.
I found the 2ltr petrol mondeo & bit drank petrol!! when towing you could see the needle going down!!!
Total Posts: 122
Hi Happyal Ex police vehicles are detuned to standard purchase vehicles when disposed of if you can live with a hammered motor plus all the extra holes for fitting police equipment and a very high mileage go a head and buy. you might be lucky and latch on to an ex C/ Supers motor which he would have looked after as if his own private motor, bet the dealer will not sell it at an expolice vehicle Price
Total Posts: 155
It is your choice in the end, but you can always look at a gas conversion for a diesel this will make it more affordable.
Total Posts: 1
Just changed back to a 4 x 4 from a Mondeo Diesel Estate 2litre, 130bhp. Plenty of torque pulling a 1480kg Coachman got 29mpg towing on a decent run and around 45mpg solo so quite economical. Purchased a Diesel X-Trail now as prefer sitting higher when towing and getting fed up with being towed off muddy rally fields.
Total Posts: 12
Just come across this thread. I am using a 58 plate Mondeo zetec 2 ltre to pull a Hymer Nova.I have had the engine re-mapped and it has cost £200. it has taken the BHP up to 175 from 130 and the last trip to france I averaged 36mpg pulling the van and 56 mpg on the return without the van and that was aveage speed of circa 80mph. well pleased and it has already paid for itself having the remap.
Total Posts: 228
I have a Lunar Clubman sb fully loaded it is 1490kg I pull it with a 2009 volvo xc70 2.4 d5, the towing limit is 1500kg as it is a manual gearbox so I am just under, this car pulls the guts out of this van and if Volvo in their infinite wisdom ever decide to put the towing limit up, as the kerbside weight is around1800kg, then it would be able to pull any single axle van on the market and possibly a few twin axles as well. It has at it's disposal 175 brake horsepower and I average between 25 - 30 mpg towing a van depending on where we go, I am really happy with this car, what we cannot put in the van through the weight restriction of the caravan the luggage space more than copes, it just swallows it all up.
Total Posts: 4
Very interested in this thread - We've had american vehicles for about 20 years to tow our 'vans. Currently we use a Ford Expedition BUT we always have an LPG conversion. Our current model does around 22 solo & 18 towing (Fendt Twin Axle) Don't know its on the back as it pulls like a train! If you do your homework US vehicles can be a really good option
go LPG its great
I own a Honda CRV 2.2 Turbo Diesel 2005 towing a Lunar Lexon SE 2009, MRO 1237 est, no problem even though close to max towing weight, mpg averages between 28/32 when towing which I am more than happy with, as when not towing I can get anything between 38/44 mpg, would'nt hesitate to recommend the Honda, away this Easter W/End with both so if you need more info, back Wed.
had LPG car, factory converted vectra, worse car I ever had!! spent more time in garage than on the road & always the LPG that was wrong. Good job it was a company car.
Total Posts: 88
currently i own a Vectra 1.9cdtI (150 ) which pulls my Sterling Eccles 544 ( max Payload 1460kg ) with ease returning around 33mpg when towing. However i am looking to change car and have draw a shortlist down to the following 2 cars. firstly a Ford Kuga 2ltr diesel, this tows 2000kg and should return around 4o to 44mpg when towing, The second is the new Kia sportage (2011 onwards ) as this has similar capacity as the Kuga but costs less to buy. They both come in 2WD and 4wd options but i will go for the 2WD as the mpg is better and the road tax is cheaper. I am not sure if i want to stay with a normal run of the mill car although the New Hyundia I40 Estate has a 1.7ltr Deisel engine and the eco version can tow 1800kg which would be ample for me and the tax is low and the mpg is really good.
Total Posts: 17
I'm on my first caravan and towcar. Did a fair bit of research and settled for a 2008 Ford S-Max Titanium 2.0 tdci auto - 3 years old at the time, ex-Motability and only 11k miles on the clock! - and a 2008 Sterling Eccles Jewel with MTPLM of 1,500 kg. Pulls like a train and is very stable, as long as I keep the noseweight a little north of 75 kg. I get circa 30 mpg towing and about 40 mpg solo, if I drive sensibly. Someone on a site commented that the shape of the S-Max looked ideal for towing as the lines flowed into the caravan shape, thus reducing the drag on the unit. I don't know about that, but I am very happy with my new pastime! :-)
Page 1 of 2