General

Chinese Lanterns

Total Posts: 7
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 4 years ago
Yet another big fire this time in a Caravan storage site allegedly started by one of these stupid things, after the fires in two big waste recycling plants also thought to be caused by the things is it not time they were banned and taken off sale, I for one have sat in caravan sites all over the country terrified when these things have been floating over in case they fell on our awning. Far be it from me to spoil people's fun but this situation is getting ridiculous, what does anyone else think
Total Posts: 190
I totally agree with you! What goes up must come down! They should be banned with immediate effect.......
Total Posts: 122
I spent several years in Hong Kong in the sixties and saw thousands of these paper and tealite lanterns released and never heard of any fires. there could be hundreds at one time released as the average tealite lasts about twenty mins if that the hot air trapped in the lantern would keep it up for a while after the lite had burnt out, maybe there using propane burners now or for some reason the lantern was not properly assembled and caught fire causing it to lose hot air and fall to the ground hence the fire. Its like fireworks if used properly and sensibly the are perfectly safe.
Total Posts: 190
I would question what 'properly' is, surely they are lit and released? I would suggest the recent horrific fires speak for themselves? You may be right however in the quality of the build of the lanterns. I still won't be using them....
Total Posts: 8
I think it's bizarre that anyone uses these things. As far as I'm concerned they are illegal already. Would you throw a burning object into a field full of wheat for example, or indeed a caravan site? You'd be arrested and rightly, so why are these flying incendiary devices tolerated??
Total Posts: 228
I think the one thing people are missing here is the fact that these lanterns go up purely by heating the air within the envelope and once the fuel is used up decend back to terra firma, however that is not to say they themselves cannot catch fire through a gust of wind etc but falling to earth with no paper envelope on them would probably put out the meager flame that was used to make them go up in the first place, but I could be wrong.