General

Heating the world?

Total Posts: 45
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 4 years ago
What do folk think about using electric heaters in an awning? It does seem like a waste of energy. I wonder if anyone uses their domestic electricity to warm the outside of their house?

I'm not having a dig at anyone, I just don't think it's a good thing in general.
Total Posts: 270
I guess there are 2 ways of looking at it, 1, I've paid for my electric so I'm going to use it as much as I can and 2, the people that do heat awnings with electri are selfish risking tripping breakers out on various sites with old circuit breakers. Personally, I think it should be banned by site owners for exactly your reason, but (and there has to be an exception) some folk do have people sleep in their awnings such as their kids if they don't have room in their vans and I'd sooner see heated awnings than frozen kids.. Just my opinion.
Total Posts: 80
do we really need to heat an outside place ? I agree it is a waste of energy and it will in some way contribute to global warming, part of the caravanning experience is to be in such beautiful places which will sadly decline in the future if we waste our energy
Total Posts: 228
As it stands when you have a hookup you pay for the electricity on a nightly basis, which is worked out on a fair usage basis, anyone can and people do abuse this fair usage allowance.
The various clubs and private sites are only allowed to charge what they paid for the electricity but having said that I dare say some make a profit out of it, some if abused make a loss. Only when meters (thats if they ever do) are used then people will not heat awnings or leave their heating on inside of their caravans all day.
Total Posts: 122
I stayed on a site last year and the whole site kept tripping out not the pitch hook up, it was found after some investigating that it was one section of the site only and this couple who were on their second or third bottle of wine plus about 20 empty cider bottles had 3 over 2kilowatt fires full on in their awning while getting blotto the site owner told them the gate opens at 8 oclock and they where to be the otherside by 8-20 because of the mouthful they gave him about keeping warm. but that aside I have slept in the awning many a time on a campbed because the wife and granddaughter are frightened of creepy crawlies and the bogey man, using a -75 kilowatt oil filled radiator which is stat controlled and keeps that dampness off in the awning.I hung a thermometer off one of the awning pole adusters and checked it several times while reading and the fire kept going off about 65/70 degrees itis surprising how much of the heat is retained by the awning the fire turned on and off about every20/30 mins or so. As there was no heat on in the van her indoors refuses to sleep with a heater on any time of the year,so we would not be using a lot of electricity anyway
Total Posts: 4
We've never heated our awning as its either warm enough to be out in it without heating or too cold so we stay in the van (Porch awning in winter/short trips & full awning in summer) years ago when we camped we had a lovely fire that fitted on top of a gas bottle - it heated the tent up a treat & to be honest I would never think of using site electricity to warm an awning. As other posters have said its very selfish