Members:

See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

General

Help! I need to know my caravan's weight before I set off.

Total Posts: 14
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 7 years ago
I am new to caravanning and I am trying to weigh my caravan correctly before I take it on the road.

I have attempted this several times and the weight is alot greater than I would have expected. I have no idea if I'd doing this correctly.

Anyone got any words of wisdom?

Help
Posted: 7 years ago
Have you read this article?
http://www.caravanownersclub.co.uk/SocialHub/News
It might help.
Total Posts: 6
Posted: 6 years ago
Take it to a local weighbridge, drop the jockey wheel so that the caravan & jockey are the only things on the bridge, unhitch but do not move the tow car. Read the weight or get the bridge operator to print out a ticket.
Total Posts: 228
You can take it to a weighbridge if you can find one and as long as you DON'T ask for a ticket they normally will not charge you, or you can go to the expense of buying a Reich Caravan Weight Control gauge, the 1000kg model from Halfords is £135 the 1500kg model is £160, in use as you only weigh what weight is on one wheel at a time the 1000kg model can weigh a caravan that is potentially 2000kg I have never seen a touring caravan that weighs that much.
Total Posts: 67
My twin axle is rated at 2000 kgs and there are probably a few \german and US caravans that are over 3000.
If you bother to read my post I was refering to a single axle caravan that is why I said ONE WHEEL, I did not say anything about two wheels if you want to go down that route then the 1500kg one is the one that is required, they will weigh a caravan upto 3000 kg
Please Mr Stoner do tell me which caravan you have
Ah! Mr Stoner you have an Elddis avante 636 2006 model, since when has that model had a MTPLM of 2000kg at the last count it had a MTPLM of 1700kg even the latest model elddis twin axle caravans only have a plated MTPLM of 1905kg which can if you pay elddis a small fee be uprated to 2000kg, if you are by chance loading your caravn to 2000kg then you are breaking the law.
I have seen some german vans that weigh 2000kg or just over, never 3000kg the only usa caravans that weight that much are the air streams the heaviest being 10000kg which cannot be towed by any 4x4 vehicle unless you want to be foolish and tow well over the towing weight of the vehicle any way you would be breaking the law, just about all of the airstream models can only be towed by a class 7 vehicle, there are a few exceptions but I would hazard a guess and say that they can only be towed by a big 4 x 4 and not a normal towcar.
Total Posts: 314
Celtic Rambler from 5th whell company is 3200kg, payload 1100kg = 4300kg MTPLM (yes I know its a 5th wheeler, but is a caravan??)
Inos twin axle CARAVAN from same company is 2000kg, 500kg payload = 2500kg MTPLM.
ALL made in UK.
I stand corrected as to the MTPLM of these two units, however the fifth wheel unit needs a specially adapted vehicle to tow it, why because it has an articulated hitch just like an articulated lorry so it cannot be towed by a normal towcar, the Inos can only be towed by large 4 x 4 vehicles. I also did NOT mention anything about being British made. I said I have not seen a tourer that weighs that much and I have'nt, I might in the future but not as yet.
Total Posts: 314
I didn't say you did say anything about thembeing british made?? chill out man.
made in wales, so UK made not british. but don't get stressed about it
Wales is not an independant state , not at the last count anyway, Britain , more commonly known as Great Britain, comprises of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland so actually The Fifth Wheel Company is in Britain so correction needed Billy1