General

What a good Idea

Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago

Just thought I would share this with you.

After having my caravan stolen last year and not found, I am always thinking of security and ways to mark the caravan when I stumbled across this on ebay last week. Post Code stickers for the top

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130690590910?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Hesitantly I made contact with the seller and purchased a postcode, but also added my registration to it for a small charge, this arrived on Saturday is now on the top of my caravan.

Mark
Total Posts: 39
An idea I was introduced to was to stamp/emboss/puch (call it what you will) my postcode onto the chassis in a couple of very discreet locations. A set of letter/number punches are about a tenner from your local Machine Mart and although not a visible deterrent will easily help the police identify your property.
Total Posts: 88
in theory a good idea ,but it also alerts any thieve with a ounce of wherewithal that can observe your caravan from a motorway bridge that your home is empty .this idea was bandied about some years ago and i think would be even more dodgy in the age of google maps etc..
i.e if buying something that needs picking up or even going to a new campsite i always do a google maps on postcode and get the little yellow man to have a look round the area.
Total Posts: 228
Posted: 5 years ago
My mate did that to his van, put his post code on the top, they then nicked his car
Total Posts: 72
I noticed a couple of caravan where we have stored ours have put post codes on the top and wondered why... that explains it although I do wonder how effective this is as I guess you can peel it of if you check the roof or just put another one over it...but still its an option.
Total Posts: 88
I have paid for the extra security marking kit from Cris which comes with a micro chip lke a pin which you drill a very small hole in a specific place and out it it , along with a paint type product which you dot on several areas of the caravan out of sight which has lots of minute chips which have you id number on. All you do is notify cris where you put the pin id so they have it on record for the police to check. There are additional window stickers to say you have these additional markings
Total Posts: 228
Better still get an active tracker, if anyone tries to steal your van the tracker people will alert you via home or mobile phone then liase with the police to recover it
Total Posts: 51
Do you really want it back after some scum bag has been thought it, or a new one bought with the insurance money. I say do all you can to stop them taking it, but once its gone I don't know if i would want it back.
Total Posts: 102
The police in Dyfed Powys several years ago encouraged trailer owners, particularly farmers who were having equipment stolen, to put numbers on the top of their trailers. If they were stolen they could be identified from the police helicopter. It doesn't have to be your postcode it can be any sequence that you can notify the police if the van is stolen.
Total Posts: 155
Put your vans cris number on the roof use stencils and paint barrer to remove.