General

speed limits

Total Posts: 3
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 5 years ago
why when we are towing and keeping to the national speed limits do other caravanners when they go by way above the limit, turn and grin at you as if to say look at us?
Total Posts: 190
I would suggest it's because they are irresponsible....

Not only do they not care for their own safety, they quite obviously have little regard for the safety of other!

Keep safe and stay alive......
Total Posts: 155
Speed limits are there because of the safety factor.
When caravans were all restricted to 50 mph in the days when we had Police forces with the manpower to enforce it it worked, but in today's world irresponsible people will do as they please.
60 mph is fast enough, it is a speed that still allows you to cover a mile a minute and be safe.
Total Posts: 228
It's in the pipeline for uk max speed limits on motorways to rise from 70 to 80 mph whether or not that will affect the speed limit for towing a caravan I don't know, might get turned down but you never know.
Total Posts: 9
The safe speed limit is what you feel safest at towing a van. Irresponsible 4x4 owners with the biggest caravans or should I say hotel on wheels think they aloof from prosecution for speeding and pass me when driving solo above 70mph. NUMPTIES
Total Posts: 45
Posted: 4 years ago
It may be just me, but I feel that when I exceed 55 on motorways, I worry so much about weaving, it detracts from the driving experience, which is, after all, part of the holiday. Then when a HGV or other caravanner overtakes me, the dreaded weave is usually promoted.
Yes, my 'van is correctly loaded and weight balanced.
Total Posts: 228
Posted: 4 years ago
Most of the modern caravans have an ATC fitted as standard so weaving becomes less of a nightmare, can stll happen but the ATC soon stops it.
All HGV's are supposed to be governed to 55 miles an hour so if you exceed that they should not present a problem, all other vehicles can and sometimes do go faster than that, if you van is correctly weighted and loaded then 60 mph should be no problem that is if you stick to the towing guideline of 85% of the kirbside weight of your vehicle when buy a caravan (MTPLM) but it is just a guideline some people tow at 100% and over but are more susceptable to weaving, and remember to get out of a tail weave ease off the accelerator do NOT under any circumstances apply the brakes.