See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

General

Force EU to abandon MOT's for Caravans

Total Posts: 190
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
I have moved a great link posted by Jettamc22 as it could easily get lost in the forum post.

It is a petition to abandon MOT's for Caravans directed to MEP Brian Simpson, Chair of Transport &Tourism Committee.

I feel we should all support his efforts....

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/force-eu-to-abandon-mot-s-for-caravans
Total Posts: 190
I have written to my local MEP directly as well as using the link I provided, the reply from Sir Graham Watson is as follows -

I don’t dispute the ambition of reducing the number of road fatalities across Europe by 50% between 2010 and 2020. Whilst there is a need to ensure some minimum testing standards for motor vehicles across the EU, I believe the mandatory testing of caravans is disproportionate.

As you note the majority of accidents involving caravans and trailers relate to driver error, excessive speed or overloading. None of these risks would be addressed by an annual MOT type check. Whilst there are cases of unroadworthy caravans I think we should be encouraging all owners to make sensible and prudent checks on things like their caravan’s tyres and lights before setting off, but something akin to an MOT is too burdensome.

Sadly only a minority of MEPs shared my view on this when the matter was debated and voted on in July. The majority voted to include caravans with the size up to 2000kg in a mandatory testing regime. Light trailers and agricultural trailers will be exempted from these checks and I don’t believe caravans should not be singled out, my colleagues and I would like to see all caravans and trailers up to 3500kg excluded from the legislation’s scope.

I should stress that this vote is not the end of the issue. The outcome of the vote forms the basis of Parliament’s position for discussions with the Council (made up of relevant Ministers from each EU Government) so that both can agree a compromise text, which will then go once again before the European Parliament for a final vote on the new rules later in the year.

If the UK government can find sufficient allies, and we will support it in doing so, in seeking to exclude all trailers up to 3500kg, it may well be able to negotiate the remaining trailers and caravans out of the scope of the legislation.

Yours sincerely,

Sir Graham Watson
Member of the European Parliament for South West England and Gibraltar
Total Posts: 3
I'm struggling to understand which side of the fence Brian Simpson sits on. I wrote to him and his reply was "My position on this issue is to exempt all trailers below 3.5 tonnes from the MOT testing regime."
This is the way he voted: FOR the introduction as did the other Labour candidate in my region. Of the 8 North West MEP's only 3 voted against.
Here are the results of the vote 02July2013:
http://www.votewatch.eu/en/roadworthiness-tests-for-motor-vehicles-and-their-trailers-draft-legislative-resolution-vote-amended.html#/##vote-tabs-list-1
Total Posts: 8
I'd support the petition if I didn't have to agree to being sent information from 38 degrees about other campaigns. Why is there not an option to opt out of getting more spam ?
Total Posts: 88
i think that MOT's on caravans is a complete waste of time especially for hew caravans. Cars dont need one for 3 years and they have an awful lot more working parts that are potentially dangerous. Afterall under the warranty agreement you have to have your caravan serviced every year to maintain it. Everything covered in the service cover those things that could potentioally cause an accident. I do feel however when a caravan gets to a certain age there should be some sort of test or service that is mandatory to make sure the caravan is still in good working order. i recently saw a caravan flat on its subframe after one of the wheels broke at the axle luckily this was not on a fast road or in a dangerous area. I would also guess given it was being towed by a landrover type vehicle that the caravan was overloaded hense breaking the axle. i think before towing the drivers should have the test to make sure they know how to tow, how to load the caravan and how to work out what amount of items you can put in the caravan , this will then reduce the amount of issues with overloading
Total Posts: 8
Lets concentrate on the real issue - where is the evidence that UNROADWORTHY caravans are a significant contributor to road deaths, not just in the UK but in all Europe?

As caravan owners we need to be careful with our arguments! The logical response of legislators to the contention that it is overloading/speeding/driver error that causes most caravan accidents will be to do as Orangutang says - introduce a towing test for anyone towing a caravan. Now that would be a real barrier to entry to our passtime. Added to the continuous drive by government to reduce CO2 emissions, which means cars are lighter, lower powered, have lower towing and noseweight limits etc. (and that you pay more VED for vehicles capable of towing a caravan) and I seriously fear for the future of caravanning.
Total Posts: 155
While we all debate this issue we have to remember that this is a big problem in Europe where vans are kept for much longer.
That makes us the snobs of Europe as we tend to buy more newer vans and we also have our vans serviced more.
A good compromise would be that when your van has its annual service you get a certificate to show the van service has complied with the manufacturers requirements to keep the van in a safe and roadworthy manner.