General

Newbie Advice

Total Posts: 6
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 5 years ago
Hi we are looking at buying a new caravan early next year, we have never had a touring caravan before. We have set our mind on a 2 berth or very lightweight 4 berth. We have heard that we will need a whole host of other stuff to go with it but no one has offered any definite list of what we need. We obviously need to factor this in to our budget. Can anyone offer any advice so I can do my homework please?

Thanks in advance

Mark
Total Posts: 190
Main items will be -
1) - Aquaroll barrel for water.
2) - Waste water container.
3) - A quality wheel and hitch lock for security.

These are the main items as they are used daily.

A guide worth looking at is - http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/968584/getting%20started%20guide.pdf

Are you buying from a dealer or private?
Hi Ian, thanks for the reply and link. We will be looking at buying a brand new one from a dealer. Not settled on a specific model yet but been looking at the Sprite Alpine 2 as it seems to be spacious and has seperate toilet and shower etc.
Total Posts: 190
In that case I would haggle with the dealer for the extras, given you will also be buying a battery from them they should do some sort of deal.
I will be looking at at the moment an alpine sprite 2 sr. The 2013 model which is up for around £11500. I think that if I wait till early next year this will be discounted to around £10000 and hope they will throw in some bits that are needed. If not the saving will get everything I need.

Would really like the 2014 model but the 2013 new model should be a good starter van.

My car is a BMW 116i (new) but will only tow 1200 according to the book, another model that we looked at was the elddis explore 4 berth new one but not seen inside it yet and all depends on what discounts are available at the time I suppose
Total Posts: 8
Forget the car manufacturer's towing limit recommendations (well don't exceed them of course) but look at the Caravan Club recommendations on Towing weights, and as a newbie don't exceed them. The MTPLM of the caravan (the max mass fully laden) should not exceed 85% of the UNLADEN mass of the towcar.
Car manufacturers often recommend a maximum trailer mass way over what is safe for a caravan.
Total Posts: 88
My best advice to you as a newbie to caravaning is make notes of the unladen and laden weight of the caravan, make sure that everything you add to the caravan is weighed and you keep a note of these items. Most people who have been caravaning for many years ignore this weight allowance and often overload the caravan.I bought a 2012 Sterling Eccles 544 Lux last year with an unladen weight of 1282 and a MPLW of 1438 making a weight allowance of 156kg of allowable weight. this includes water and waste bottles pots and pans, clothes food gas bottle and if you have a motor movers. When we bought our caravan we manages to get the Alko axle wheel lock and an alarm thrown in with a mains hook up cable and step. the other main items you will need are
Fresh Water bottle
Wastle Water Bottle
External water pump to bottle
gas bottle and regulator
electric hook up cable
toilet chemicals

i found looking on ebay and preloved you can usually find all the accesories you need when someone is selling up .
if your starting out then if you want an awning start with a lightweight one like a porch awning or a 290 long one which will cost upto about £200 then progress onto a bigger one if you want. The other thing to remember is make sure you know what nose weight your car towball can take and check the caravan when loaded with a set if scales DO NOT OVERLOAD YOUR TOWBAR it bill damage your car and potentially cause an accident