General

Toilet Chemicals

Total Posts: 190
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
A fellow caravaner advised me to use bio degradable washing liquid (For clothes) instead if 'blue'). Tried tested and smells much nicer than the blue chemical. Been using a cheap Aldi version. Cheap and it works a treat! Give it a try!
Total Posts: 28
Im just off to get some before the rush!!
Ta
Total Posts: 6
What a great idea. Might get some next time I go to Aldi
Total Posts: 22
Problem is, the washing liquid does nothing about methane.
The 'blue' and 'green' chemicals are designed to stop methane from forming, reducing the risk of fire. I'm sticking to the safe stuff ;-)
Total Posts: 155
I have also used the cheaper one that Aldi sells and it is good.
The biggest difference I have found is that I use less than the premium brands.
I have also used the cheaper one that Aldi sells and it is good.
The biggest difference I have found is that I use less than the premium brands.
Total Posts: 56
I have read this elsewhere.
I will still use the Blue toilet chemicals as they are designed to do a specific job. I wouldn't use toilet blue to wash clothes so why expect washing liquid to dissolve and take care of human waste?
Where the effluent troughs empty into a cess tank Biological washing liquid will kill the bacteria that eat the effluent. I found this out years ago when our brick cess tank kept filling too quickly. An Old Boy who lived next door explained about Biological washing powder my wife was using, he suggested dropping a bit of road kill into the tank to get it going again. The cess tank then started working properly again and went months between emptying instead of weeks.
Total Posts: 88
i konw people look to save money when it comes to blue liquid but i strongly believe that the blue is a tried and tested product and completely works. I will still buy it and use it ( plus i love the smell for some strange reason )
Posted: 5 years ago
Yes blue is good, but there are also some great alternatives such as one chemical which can be used in both water and waste tank and you only need 25ml in the waste tank.
Total Posts: 45
I believe it's called Olpro Bottom and Top, I won some as a forum prize elsewhere and it's certainly does the job, without having to use a lot. Also I find that the pink flush concentrate tends to lead to little black flecks in the toilet bowl. Anyone else find this? The Olpro doesn't do this
Total Posts: 25
I have been using Lidls Bio washing liquid for quite a few years now as I cannot abide the horrible smell of the blue stuff (worse than the contents of the cassette).
The post on methane is baffling as all cassettes are vented to the outside (or should be). From personal experience Bio liquid does not stop cess tanks working (not the quantity that I us). So why not save yourself some dosh and try it. Almost forgot when using the Bio liquid in a hard water area you don't get the build up of limescale that you get using blue stuff,
Total Posts: 169
in reply to redmick, i have had the problem of flecks in the pink flush concentrate. i wondered if it was possibly out of date or even been affected by the frost. i have finished that particular bottle and all seems well now
Total Posts: 228
In reply to Redmick and jim1 the black flecks are in fact mould that has grown on the inside of the flush tank during periods of non use, the only way to get rid of them are drain down when not in use, or before use put a small amount of bleach diluted with water in the tank (it will have to go to the top filling mark) leave it overnight then flush out with freash water, black specs gone.
By the way DO NOT mix different makes of pink flushing fluid, they tend to go stringy and clog up the pump.
Total Posts: 169
i have already done what rcpilot suggested and will see what it is like when i bring it out of storage, but something else i noticed was the toilet bowl went a greyish colour, could this also be caused by mould growth
Total Posts: 122
My Loo flush does not use the Pink liquid but draws fresh water from the cold pipe suppling the bathroom cold tap via a none return inline valve. However I still use the blue for the soil tank. If the sealing ring fitted in the top of this tank is in good condition and the trap is closed correctly you should not get any smell in your van you can purchase a special lub spray for this seal or use olive oil IE (cooking) do not use WD 40 or Silicon Spray or similar as this is know to attack the plastic used in the trap and tank. Ideally the seal should be renewed each season its only a 8/10 minute job.Some sites ban the use of green tank liquid, I have seen notices up near the empting point stating only the use of Blue toilet chemical permitted on this site. I find Blue Diamond Blue has a more fragant smell than many of the other brands. I think they may add some sort of fragance. But you could always add a few drops of your other half,s Channel No 5 but do not smoke when paying a visit.