See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

General

Caravan Width

Total Posts: 228
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
Hi it seems that with the relaxation of width restrictions on caravans using UK roads more caravans are now being made with a wider than normal width dimension, what I mean by that is caravans were made with a width of 7ft 3in but now 7ft 6in seems to be the norm.
What caravan do you have and how wide is it?
Total Posts: 190
Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 2 Overall Width: 2.28m

Maximum sizes for towing
Towing vehicle under 3500kg GVW

Length (excluding the coupling and drawbar)
7.0 metres

Maximum width
2.3 metres

Towing vehicle over 3500kg GVW

Length (excluding the coupling and drawbar)
12 metres if at least 4 wheels

Maximum width
2.55 metres

Length of towing vehicle & trailer combined
18 metres

Maximum overhang of load from rear of trailer
3.05 metres
Total Posts: 228
What caravan did you have before you got the Bailey ianbax? was the widith 7ft 3in if so do you notice any difference between them.
I had a swift before we got our lunar the extra 3in in width of the lunar does not make all that much diffence really.
Total Posts: 102
We have had several caravans over the years. The first and several others were 7ft 3in which seemed to be the UK standard for a long time. We have also owned a pop-top caravan which was great to tow as it was only 5ft 9in wide so you knew it was no wider than the car and would go anywhere the car could go. Our current caravan is 7ft 1in (215cm) and quite frankly we don't notice that its narrower. Having said all that I believe the maximum permitted width is no 8ft which is the same width as an HGV and quite frankly I think I would find it scary towing that down some of our country roads to caravan sites.
UK caravanners towing with a regular car have been restricted to a maximum caravan body width of 2.3m (7ft 6in). French and German tourers are allowed to be 2.55m (8ft) wide
To rcpilot - I have a Bailey Pegeant Champagne, it was 2.19m wide, to be honest I have not noticed a difference at all in towing it.