General

OVERHEATED PLUG WELDED INTO CARAVAN CLUB MAIN FEED POST

Total Posts: 2
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 5 years ago
I was recently staying at Rowntree Park, York, and when we were leaving I could not disconnect the mains power cable from the post. I contacted the warden, and he could not release it either, so we had to leave our cable attached. A few weeks later, I received a letter from the caravan club stating that I was responsible for the problem, as the cable I used was not to the correct standard, and had caused the overheating that melted the plug to the socket. I explained that I had used the same cable for 6 years with no problems, and that the supply did not trip out, but they insist on sending me the repair bill, which I am waiting to receive, I have since bought a thicker cable, and have seen the same slightly thinner cable still being used on 2 other caravan club sites. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, what was the problem. I hope there is someone out there that can help me challenge the might of the caravan club. Thank you. David Warren tel 01535 669177
Total Posts: 1
the rcd on the site should have tripped! so i would tell them where to go as a power surge could have damaged your caraven!
Total Posts: 51
The overheating would have been caused by a bad connection between the socket and the plug. Most likely the socket you plugged into was damaged which would have caused a high resistance connection between the two which inturn would cause the plastic to melt. ? Seeing as the bit you plug in has pins I would think the fault was probably with the post on site. Do you know what size the trip was on site? If it was a 16 amp supply then I am not surprised it did not trip.
Total Posts: 2
This would not cause the RCD to trip. The fault could lie with either your plug or site socket. As has been stated by surfreak the cause is a loose conection, I would not be paying any repair bill, the electrician may be covering himself by blaming you.