General

Caravan movers

Total Posts: 169
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
I have found that caravan mover is definitely an asset to siting a van. It saves all of the embarrassment of trying to reverse on sight. Does everyone else agree?
Total Posts: 314
I have never had one & always reverse on ok (ish), seem very costly to me & reduce my payload. if a light & cheap one was available I may have it as I love a new 'toy'.
Total Posts: 12
I Have fitted myself a Towsure mover and find it works for me as I am getting on a bit and and had trouble putting it into its parking space in storage as its on a slight gradient and wasn't doing my clutch any good. I don't however have much trouble reversing onto pitch but has helped on some sites when its a bit tight
Total Posts: 155
I mainly use my mover to put my van into storage as it is a bit tight.
The only time I use it on site is when I have to reverse uphill as it stops the brake activating.
Total Posts: 4
we have a mover fitted and have just had a 5 week tour of Scotland, but due to the battery ( a new one ) being faulty we couldn't use the mover, we have struggled on almost every site to park our van , the worse when we were only slightly down hill, I was at the back and when the van started to roll I was screaming put the break on !!!! the thing was off on it's own and it took all our strenght to stop it. Motor movers nevr go on holiday with out one !1
Total Posts: 27
We have a motor mover on our Caravan my husband has health problems
So we can't push it on its a valuable bit of kit we would not be without
I have seen young and old using them on sites to site the vans and its Brillient
Total Posts: 15
I fully agree but if you reverse in a bit squey who worries there is always some one to lend a hand it also breaks the ice and friendships are started.
I also have a very good mover.
Total Posts: 22
I never had a problem reversing caravans, as in the past, I have worked on farms, a holiday caravan site, and driven HGV1 vehicles, all of which included pulling and reversing trailers or caravans. I've also owned caravans for many years. Problem is, I have been suffer from rheumatoid arthritis and vascular problems, and over the years, manually maneuvering caravans has become a virtual impossibility.
Three years ago, I purchased an Elddis 15 foot caravan which was much heavier than the 12 foot caravans we've always had in the past, so I decided it was time to get a motor mover. I bought a brand new Ego unit on Ebay for just £390 including delivery - bargain!
I decided to fit it myself to save travelling to the nearest fitting depot, and more importantly, to save the £150 fitting charge. I used my car to push the caravan up onto a pair of wheel ramps, and spent a couple of hours a day for three days fitting the mover, aided by my wife, two small trolley jacks, and several large pieces of wood. All went well, although I could hardly move for a couple of days afterwards.
It was well worth the hassle though, especially where we parked the caravan in my mates back garden in Cornwall, with a rather narrow and twisty little lane to negotiate to get there.

Then a couple of months ago, I bout a 13 foot ABI Clubman Special at a bargain price, much lighter than the Elddis and in much better condition, so I got may grand daughter and her boyfriend Simon to come up and stay for a week, and Simon helped me to swap the mover over. Basically, I mostly supervised and Simon did most of the work :-D
Total Posts: 190
Whilst movers are a great help I would highly recommend all caravan users attend a Caravan Manoeuvring Course or at least practise in an open field the art of reversing a van. We don't have a mover and yes, on the odd occasion I get it wrong but 9/10 I reverse it without issue.
Total Posts: 127
We find the motor movers a god send for pitching the caravan on tight pitches hooking the caravan to the car and also to fit the Alko secure lock.
The only thing I have problems with the motor mover is getting the remote off the wife we have to fight over it but the wife wins every time she's got a harder punch than me.
Total Posts: 190
I have the same problem with the TV remote at home.... She never fights over the awning poles though.... Strange that!!!!
Total Posts: 2
We have mover on our caravan, which has to be engaed manually with wheelbrase. Mover is new but the spring tension is heavy to engage. Anyone else found this and does it get easier with use.
Total Posts: 127
Hi yes it will get easier with use and as the tyres wear down. Also check the gap between the movers rollers and the tyres it should be no less than 20mm when the mover is not engage.
Total Posts: 2
Thanks for the tips bigchris63, thought my muscles were going soft.
Total Posts: 22
Agreed about the 20mm gap. If the gap is less than this, the mover roller bearings will get severely damaged very quickly, as well as excessive strain on the springs, pivot points, and your muscles!
If the gap is more than 20mm, the rollers will not grip the tyres properly, so going up a slope will cause the rollers to skid on the tyre, damaging the the tyre surface!
Total Posts: 8
In my experience, unless you have a small easily manhandled caravan, a mover is virtually a must if holidaying on the Continent as many pitches are tiny! Spain seems worse than France, and if you are on a 75 sq.m. pitch and it is busy with the one opposite occupied you either need a lot of manpower or a motor mover. I find a cordless drill with the appropriate extended socket attachment for caravans makes short work of winding the mechanism onto and off the wheels.