Members:

See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

General

The proposed MoT's for Trailers/Caravans.

Total Posts: 4
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
Hi to you all out there. What is the general view of you all,good,bad or indifferent/for or against.
Do you fear an MoT because you don't have your investment cared for?
Do you think that it is yet another intrusion by the Dictatorship of Europe?
Do you see the advantages/potential disadvantages either way?
Do you think that it is workable/police-able?
What do you think should be the consequences of not having the MoT carried out and being caught out on the road?
Without naming groups,what do you think that a certain group will do if the proposal is passed and it becomes law?
Please endeavour to deal with each aspect in chronological order.
Total Posts: 169
There is a view regarding MOT's for caravans on the caravan club site. It states quite clearly that any accident due to caravans is by driver fault rather than a fault with the caravan. I personally do not fear the MOT, as I have my caravan serviced regularly, perhaps some sort of MOT can be done at the same time, ensuring the safety of the vehicle. On talking to mechanics who are servicing my own vehicle, they felt that it was inconceivable to conduct MOT's on caravans due to their size and weight. Also it would be limited to only certain garages due to the cost. Yes I do think it is workable as MOT's are registered by law. No MOT is the same infringement as not having one on your car.
Total Posts: 51
Practical problems as far as I can see. How to test the brakes? Expensive equipment needs to be purchased by the garage to do the testing. Official training.
Who is going to pay for that to be done? Lots of owners only get away a few times a year so the van may only have done a few miles, if any. Its just a way to extort more money out of honest people. They are the ones who will be targeted.
Total Posts: 190
Whilst the practicality may be and issue and cost to the owner prohibitive, it's not such a crazy idea. I have our van serviced every year and would welcome some sort of MOT which would make the van safer for the owner and other road users.... I want to know for sure what I am pulling is safe and mine or others lives are not in danger
Total Posts: 314
Should a van be like a car & wait until its 3 years old before it has its first one??

I ask because i had a company car from new & as i did loads of miles it had done 150,000 miles before its first MOT!!

What about a seasonal pitched van that is legal to be towed should it have MOT??

So many questions!!
Total Posts: 102
The current EU proposals suggest MOT type tests for caravans over 750kg but do not suggest similar tests for any other type of trailer until 2000kg. That seems highly imbalanced and unfair on caravan owners since this would almost certainly mean a registration system as well and the costs would no doubt be funded by caravanners. No objection in principle if it means safer towing but make sure that ALL trailers are covered by the regulations.
Total Posts: 155
I have my van serviced by an approved workshop and the check everything.
So the logical way forward is to combine the mot with the service, but it should also cover all trailers as I have seen some trailers being towed that should not be used on the roads.
Total Posts: 228
According to greenflag reported in DEC of 2012 MOT's for caravans are now not going ahead, transport minister stated that it would be an unfair burden on small businesses and private owners, if this has changed please post here.
Total Posts: 1
Having just listened to the European Parliament Transport & Tourism Committee meeting on 21st Jan 2013 (video) discussing the draft proposals on 'Periodic roadworthiness tests for motor vehicles and their trailers', I am shocked to discover the proposals would result in MOT's for caravans.

Therefore I have set up a a petition at http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/force-eu-to-abandon-mot-s-for-caravans to call on the Transport Committee chair to remove caravans before the vote on 2nd July. There are good reasons why an MOT would not make the UK roads any safer which are explained at the link.

If you agree with this please click on the link to sign up.
The mot for caravans IS going ahead for the EU however this is not so for the UK,but I would hazard a guess and say that if you took your caravan abroad then under EU law it must be mot'ed where you would get that done in the UK I don't know, might put a lot of people off from going abroad with their caravans. Also it might come about that caravans that are register and kept in the UK might be exempt, I will point out that (being an ex mot inspector) there are new mot rules that apply to your car ie, if your car is fitted with towing electrics they must work irregardless if you use them or not otherwise your car will fail the mot.
Please post here if anyone hears different
Total Posts: 102
In France you already have to have an MOT (Control Technique) and a registration document for any trailer over 500kg. This obviously means that most caravans are included. What this has meant is that caravans here are much more expensive than in the UK. The requirement only applies to caravans towed by a French registered vehicle. If you tow with a UK vehicle it does not apply. Presumably the new EU regulations are trying to standardise rules throughout Europe.
Passed by EU on 2nd July 2013. Our government is strongly opposing as are the caravan club and caravan and camping club. Contact your local MEP and have your say! Make them at least do something to earn their salaries.

Would caravan owners club care to also be involved given membership? Every little helps..
Total Posts: 4
According to the Camping and Caravan Club recent magazine, (August I think), the proposal is due to be debated again in September after the summer recess of the European Parliament. They have written to every UK MEP objecting to the proposals and urge caravanners to write to their local MEP to do the same.

I have written to all 5 East Midland MEPs to voice my concern. All have replied with 3 supporting the objections raised, 1 supporting the proposal and 1 submitting a holding response which is non committal. In my view this is another example of Europe trying to fix something in continental Europe with the byproduct of dictating rules and regulations here in the UK as a result. We should resist this proposal as it is a disproportionate response to the problems trying to be addresed.
I have mailed all of mine also.

Here is a reminder to a link posted by Jettamc22 which is a good petition we should all support.

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/force-eu-to-abandon-mot-s-for-caravans
Total Posts: 169
Posted: 5 years ago
has anyone any news as to how the mot on caravans has been progressing
European Parliament proposals to introduce compulsory MOT-style tests are "unlikely" to come to fruition, according to the National Caravan Council (NCC).

The industry body made this claim today (19 December), following recent developments in Brussels that saw O1 and O2 trailer categories removed from the European Roadworthiness Package.

This news will come as a relief to caravan owners and industry alike. Earlier this year the Caravan Club and the Camping and Caravanning Club moved to oppose this development.

However, before we can all breathe a sigh of relief, the decision will have to be officially approved on 21 January.

Alicia Dunne, Deputy Director General at the NCC, said: "The NCC Directorate, with the support of both consumer clubs, has engaged in extensive lobbying of all UK MEPs, members of the TRAN committee, the UK Minister for Transport, and the Department for Transport to support the industry's case against the introduction of MOT-style test for O2 trailer caravans."
caravan MOT's squashed