See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

General

Caravan site no hook up question

Total Posts: 72
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
In need of some advice I am going to the British Grand Prix and staying on site but the pitch I have has no electric hook up... I have a leisure battery and know the fridge and heating is can work off gas but my question is how much gas does a fridge use and will the battery last the whole 3 days?
I suspect we will only need power for a few hours a day, heating only if its cold but will need to use cooker and the fridge all the time...
Can anybody give me a clue what issues I may have just running on gas/battery power for 3 days.
Total Posts: 169
Gas power no problem, as long as you have got plenty of gas on board. Remember to always carry two bottles! Electric not needed for oven, the fridge can work off gas. Also the heating can be worked off gas.
just need to find a gas powered TV now then... haha :-)
Total Posts: 51
The fridge uses a lot less gas than you would think. The battery should be good for 3 day if you are not trying to run a telly for a long time. Just lights and water pump and radio should be good for 3 days easy. If you want to extend the life, how about a solar panel? Or led lights will also reduce the load on the battery.
Total Posts: 228
I have just been away for a total of 12 days running the fridge on gas the whole time, cooked occassionally with gas cadac used the alde boiler for heating water a few times and used a gas kettle about 3 times used only 1 - 6kg bottle of gas. As in my other posts about electrical comsuption of appliances, which is in the solar panel section, a caravan running :- water pump for taps, electrical flush for toilet, lights, alarm, tracker, display for fridge and all the other things people seem to forget, a caravan takes aprox 16 amps out of your battery (ies) every 24 hours so over 3 days it would amount to nearly 50 amps, as you should NOT discharge a true leisure battery to more than 50% of its capacity then a 100a/h might cope any more usage and you would risk damaging the battery.
so here's a update... went to British Grand Prix had a great time.. no hook up so ran off the battery, fridge off gas... no tv, no generator. Didn't have any issues at all as all our caravan light are 12 and only other item that pulled from the battery was the water pump and heater fan. Wouldn't like to be just on battery for long period of time in winter but during summer for a few days I can cope :-)
Total Posts: 155
Get a pv solar panel as they still charge your battery when fuere is no sunlight.
Total Posts: 6
We camp all year round and are lucky if we ever see a hook up. The fridge, heater and water heater are all a lot more efficient when run on gas and, if you get a solar panel, you will experience very little battery trouble unless you constantly run a TV or anything else with high consumption. You did mention your lights being ok because they are only 12V, but, just be careful, it's the wattage of the lamps that is important, not the voltage. Now that you've tried non hook up caravanning, you might like to try it with a Camping & Caravan Club rally, where you will find lots of advice on what you can and can't run effectively on a battery. You can find details of your local DAs on their website.