See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

Attractions

What do you look for in a site?

Total Posts: 270
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
As people have differing ideas of an idyllic when away from home, just wondered what you look for in a site. Me n ' er indoors look for a peaceful site away from the bustle, close to the coast and for ' er indoors, somewhere locally to do a bit of shopping. Controversially maybe, we believe that kids should be seen and not heard so try to pitch up away from anyone who looks like they've got little munchkins though don't get me wrong, not all kids are horrors or parents unable to show any control or respect for their neighbours.
Ozzy..
Total Posts: 56
Peace and quiet, decent pub with food fairly close. Although we do use the cooker in the caravan we prefer to go out for proper food. Oh and we prefer if it is in Cornwall, but we are getting more adventurous this year..
Total Posts: 122
Hi folks I and the other half like a quite and peaceful site with exceptionally clean facilties we only use the van bathroom at night. WE dont mind kids so long as they play normally, and keep off our pitch. We must be within 5/10 miles of a supermarket. The head chef wont pay site shop prices. The country is not always peaceful. We where on a site along side lake Windermere about 10 years ago pitch 16 super veiws etc, but as soon as it got light every morning there was this tap tapping on the van door, when I opened the door there was a cock pheasant sitting on my steps with 6/7 Mallard ducks sitting on the grass all waiting to be fed on our breakfast bread we had no awning at that time and they really kicked up if you did not feed them the people on the pitch opposite accused us of encouraging them but we only inherited them from the previous occupants of pitch 16 I use to skim a couple of rounds of bread as far way as I could skim it on to an empty pitch where they fought over it ahhh back to bed.
Total Posts: 6
Our ideal site is somewhere that feels rural, that has somewhere on site to walk our dogs with an area where i can let them of the lead. Ideally somewhere where there is supermarket within a 5-10 mile radius. I so enjoy being by the coast, but as we live 8 miles from the sea its not deal breaker. Having just spend a lovely new year at a site in Southampton that ticked all the above, it would have been perfect apart from the electric as it was only 10amp so every time i tried to boil the kettle it would trip, so in the howling wind and pouring rain i was running out every five minutes to reset so now i look for sites with 16amp.
Total Posts: 102
We like sites with clean and heated facilities blocks. The best we have found in the UK have been Caravan Club sites. We also like sites that are peaceful but within walking distance of a village or town. Once we have parked the van we like to explore on foot rather than take the car out all the time. We also look for sites that have easy access to walks for our dogs. Moreton-in-Marsh, Broadway and Baltic Wharf in Bristol are some of our favourites. We never use 'adult only' sites. We like to hear people (including children) enjoying themselves as long as they are not intrusively noisy. Apart from the above, we like good sunny weather too but regretably, in the UK at least, that is not guaranteed wherever you go.
Total Posts: 122
Mrs Sandgrounder and I prefer sites with well maintained facilities but of mixed visitors. and decent electrical supplies. Grass or hardstanding, adequate water stations (have you ever stayed on a site with one tap) as well as refuse facilities.
We prefer sites out of town either countryside or coastal but no no clubs or bars on site, (had several bad experiences would not stay if they were free)
Total Posts: 88
my family and i prefer sites that are well maintained with excellent and clean facilities. The kids ( 14 & 16 ) like to have a swimming pool and some attractions to keep them entertained. However having a club is not necessary as we like to stay in the van at night with the red wine and a game of scrabble or monopoly . We like sites near to the coast as we have a dog and she loves to go on the beech and in the sea. I suppose as the kids get older and dont come anymore our idea on sites will change.
Total Posts: 314
depends on time of year?
winter hardstanding & sheltered.
summer grass & good views.
sorry to all with kids but adults only
doesn't have to have a bar
& as wife says size doesn't matter!!
Total Posts: 127
We like a reasonable priced well maintained site with good clean facilities and friendly owners / wardens and dog friendly. We don't mind kids as long as they as well behaved and have respect for other campers.
Total Posts: 190
Our ideal site would be clean with heated toilet / shower blocks. A supermarket within a few miles is a must along with a good pub within walking distance. Kids have all grown up so they don't come with us but it is nice to see children enjoying themselves but loud music late at night is a complete no no....

I fully appreciate those with children may want entertainment however just sitting in the awning and reading a good book with a 'glass' or two does it for us on those long warm summer nights.... (Not that we have many)
Total Posts: 228
The sun
Total Posts: 51
We just want a cheap pitch, we don't need anything other than water and electric supply. Clean facilities are nice but not necessary as our van has everything we need. If I was creating my ideal site it would have water and waste to every pitch. I don't mind children playing as long as they don't make too much noise. The most important thing is no road noise.
Also if the kids want to play football or stuff like that to do it in the appropriate area and not round the caravans
Total Posts: 28
rcpilot is right "the sun" oh and a "tipple"
And plenty of them "insect" eh
Total Posts: 169
Posted: 5 years ago
Reasonably priced with good views and good facilities. It is quite convenient if there is a beach near by, but obviously would only be enjoyable and appreciated in the summer time!
Total Posts: 102
A peaceful and quiet location. Well maintained and with good facilities - preferably heated...!
Total Posts: 3
Relaxed, countryside location, decent size pitches and shop we can walk to. We always choose somewhere with walking/cycle track near by. As we have just reached the big 50 we prefer adult only sites ( 5 adult kids ) and as I work in a nursing home I need peace and quiet occasionally lol. We have been to a few sites in Devon in the past few weeks and have booked 3 sites in north wales for august. A nice tidy site with clean shower block is important, and the best part of it all has been meeting so many friendly campers who have been willing to pass on advice to us as it is our 1st season with our caravan.
Total Posts: 1
we look for clean and modern facilities, a location with lots of walks nearby. I would sit and read all day, but hubby gets restless and needs to go for walks. If we are on our own we only look for a nearby supermarket because I'm happy to prepare our meals. If we have our teenager with us and his friend, then we go for somewhere with swimming and tennis etc. If our grandkids come with us, we look for play parks and swimming. It varies. We don't ever like noisy groups who go on into the night with no consideration for anyone else. We don't like yappy, barking dogs either.
Total Posts: 22
We are easily pleased. A cheap and quiet site with water point is what we look for. Toilets and showers are a bonus (must be clean), but not essential. Toilet waste disposal point is essential.
Electric hookup is useful, especially for breaks longer than three nights. We don't use on-site shops as they tend to be way overpriced. Grass base is great as long as the weather is good, but hard standing is best for wet conditions.
We don't need anywhere where we can take a nice long walk as I have rheumatoid arthritis which makes walking quite difficult, although I can cope with short distances reasonably well. My wife doesn't drink at all and I only drink the occasional Irish cream, so we don't need a pub close by. A supermarket within about 5 miles is very useful though.

Don't really need entertainment areas, we'd rather pay less money and find our own entertainment. Being a pensioner after being disabled for the last 30 years, we have no savings to fall back on, so when we go away, we have to keep it as cheap as possible. Scrooge has nothing on me :-D