Ask The Experts!

Nose weight

Total Posts: 45
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 5 years ago
My Elddis Oddysey 482 is making life a puzzle. When the front locker is empty and the van loaded correctly with items near the axle and low down, the noseweight is way to high, over 90kg. I find I have to put items like aquaroll, power lead, chairs etc, in the rear washroom as a counterbance to bring this down to about 70kg.

This means that I have to transport gas cylinder in the car, not an ideal scenario, I know. Anyone else have this problem?
Total Posts: 270
Actually had the same on our old bailey rimini we had, put more than a fag lighter in the front locker and the noseweight was way too high and towed like a bitch, seems stupid that manufacturers put so many lockers across the front, probably why bailey moved the gas bottle to the middle on the gt65..
Total Posts: 122
Hi Redmick I to had an Eldis 482 some years back but could not get my watergear in the front locker I used BP glassfibre gas bottles and made my own spare wheel carrier which slung the spare about 3/4 way back from tow hitch and stored my water barrel and dirty water carrier in the shower cubicle using those bungee rubbers, the steps sat in the maindoor way with the jack handle and hook up cable( first things you need).The only gear in front over lockers was first aid kit underwear socks etc all heavy clothing in wardrobe her sunlounger over axle with awning mat awning in car boot pots and pans under oven tinned stuff under sink only likes butter milk ham etc in fridge I think the only time I was over was when we went to Scotland and that was only a Kilo. The van towed ok and towed a dream when I fitted shocks in front of wheels. Iwas thinking of going off BP gas as it was getting difficult to get refills (Only Homebase) I managed get without searching around even BP garages didn,t sell it But I believe it has now been taken over by Coleman,s gas from USA so Iwill wait and see I always have spare or part in garage
Total Posts: 228
Actually a high noseweight makes the caravan tow better but you must stick to the noseweight stated in the cars specs, they say putting heavy gear in the back is a no no as it affects the stability of the caravan, here again I say that putting just the right amount of weight at the rear to achieve the correct noseweight is ok, that's provided you havn't overloaded the front locker, then putting the rest of your gear as stated in the caravan owners manual.