Members:

See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

Accessories

Retro-fit shock absorbers - is it worth it?

Total Posts: 17
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
My 2008 unit has an ALKO chassis that is not fitted with shock absorbers as standard. However, a kit is available as a bolt-on. But is it worth going to the trouble and expense, I wonder?
Total Posts: 122
Hi tractorbob3 I have a 2005/06 Geist 485 which came with shocks and V-swing axle. First time towing I could feel the difference as opposed to my Elddis V-tech both with Winter-Hof 300 tow hitches. with shocks you dont get them little bounces like you do on single axles and that side to side sway is greatly reduced when he thinks its funny lorry driver overtakes you with a 6inches gap. If you can afford the kit go for it your vans not that old you,ll certainly feel the benifit if you use your van a lot.
Total Posts: 4
A lot depends on long you propose keeping your current van - it is now 5 years old so if you intend changing any time soon, there is little point, but if you intend running it for years and do a big mileage (and if the cost is not prohibitive) it may well be worth doing.
Total Posts: 228
Go for it, however shop around for alko shockers, there are 3 types graded by colour, the colour depends on the weight of your van. You will find that your van tows much -much better. They are easily DIY fitted and come with full instructions. Used ones can be bought on ebay cheaper but first ask if they are in a fully working condition before you buy so you are protecting yourself. Take note of what jmac said in previous post.
Total Posts: 1
As said 'go for it'. I fitted a set to my 2008 Abbey GTS240 last year.
What a difference, makes towing a lot less stressful and reduces any sway to a minimum.
Well worth the money, do a search on the Al-ko site, they were on offer a little while ago....
Total Posts: 88
my 2012 Sterling has them fitted along with ATC and the towing experience is completely different , so much easier. one point though which a lot of people forget when you fit extra products like springs / motor movers you need to add the weight to the manufacturers weight as it was not included when manufactured , this will obviously reduce what weight you can carry in the caravan