Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
I would get a Garmin
I would get the garmin 9657
Garmins use a very basic mapping system overlayed with virtual data taken from historical mapping which means they don't always 'line up'. Personally I find the Tom Tom interface easier to navigate while on the move, much more reliable as far as connectivity to satellite is concerned and also with Tom toms accessory range ever growing, it's comfortably the way forward. hope this helps. :)
Personally I'd opt for TomTom better reknown in the market and thedownloadable voices make a long drive a bit more interesting
Total Posts: 39
A friend of mine is a lorry driver and he uses his Tom Tom Truck sat nav. He swears by it as it advises of low bridges etc.
Total Posts: 14
Take a look at one of the latest stories in the Caravan Owners |Club news section.... it's all about a TomTom designed especially for caravans and motorhomes!
http://www.caravanownersclub.co.uk/SocialHub/News/Details/Stress-Free-Caravan-Journeys
had a tomtom for 5 years now and still going! would never buy anything else!
Total Posts: 270
TomTom all the way, infinitely easier to operate, & upgradeable too. Had mine about 7 years now and still going strong just upgraded the software & memory card, able to play music through it & acts as a blutooth phone device too.
All in one...
Ozzy
Total Posts: 23
After using a few makes of sat nav i would have to say I prefer the good old road map. Had to many wrong roads or roads that I dont like driving on.
Total Posts: 110
I have been using a tom tom now for about three years and before that i used a nagging wife telling me that i had just gone past the road that i wanted and what a fool i was for not seeing it !!
now i just listen to homer simpson telling me off
Total Posts: 270
Meant to say in my thread that you can also buy a tomtom with HGV traffic maps that you can set height,length & weight limits in too to try to avoid getting stuck down country lanes.
Total Posts: 14
Posted: 5 years ago
Just got a Volvo xc90 with built in sat nav, must admit I'd rather go back to my 4 year old tomtom.
Just feel its got better mapping and a clearer display.
So much for expensive in car kits :(
Cheers
John
Total Posts: 314
Got a Garmin with lifetime maps, so never have to pay to down load new roads, worth a lot.
Use mine every day as do delivery's all over Lincolnshire & the Garmin has been spot on so far.
If you have an iPhone or Android then FreeNav is as it suggests free and also has the option of being set for a "truck / RV" It also stores the maps on the memory card so can be installed via a wifi connection to avoid large data charges.
I work with a guy who has the app for sat nav on his iPhone & he finds its not that good at finding places & often asks to see where it is onmy Garmin.
You really surprise me there Billy. I know at least one company running a fleet of Scanias who supply their drivers with iPhones specifically for the Sat nav.
We do a lot of multi-drop delivery's to houses,maybe the scania drivers just need to find an industrial estate where as we need to find number 123 South Street! a bit more acurate with an item that just does one thing but does it very well?!?!
Total Posts: 155
My Nissan has a built in sat nav which is rubbish I have used Navigon sat nags for the last 4 years and have found them to reliable and easy to use with features others lack.
I usually buy from amazon as I can compare them easily online.
Total Posts: 3
i use the snooper truckmate it has never let me down yet
Total Posts: 56
Tom Tom all the time, I had one for 6 years and it never let me down, I have just upgraded to a newer model, and gave my old model to my wife. I would not pay the extra money for the caravan model.
Total Posts: 122
One back seat driver a good RAC/AA road atlas,So you can keep your eyes on the road and your exstenion mirrors. If you get lost you can always blame the back seat driver.
use my Garmin every day doing multi-drop delivery's & its so good, also found on it that you can choose Caravan & Camp sites, very usefull if you haven't booked in advance!??
Total Posts: 228
I use a Snooper S7000 Pro, mapping is good, but can be a bit slow when first starting off, but depends on where you are, what I mean by that is , I came out of a car park and there was a roundabout some 30 - 40 meters ahead, as I was going round the roundabout it still had not moved. Also sat navs take a bit of interpretation when using ie says " take the next turning on the right" then says "turn now" but screen shows turning to be up ahead, but the distance to junction indicator was spot on. The best sat nav I ever had was a Pioneer Avic 8 easy to use, accurate the only problem was it was very expensive to buy and very expensive to update, it used a navigation mapping disc £250 each and would not fit in the car I now have, a lot of cars these days have the centre consol that cannot be altered ie the radio-cd player is intergral with the consol and the Pioneer was a 2 din unit ie the existing radio has to be removed to accomodate it.So windscreen mounting takes over.
Total Posts: 102
We have just bought a Tom Tom Via135 with free lifetime maps to replace our old GO910. It is great to have up to date maps and the unit cost less than two year's updates so we felt it was good value. Another feature we didn't have on the old one is that it gives road numbers and names. The instructions are very good and you can also use voice commands which are useful when driving.
Total Posts: 1
We have both a Garmin and a Tom Tom...ultimately comes down to price and features. Both navigate very well with latest map updates. Tom Tom has downloaded voices of Arnold Swachenagger which Husband finds amusing to argue with when going "off-route". I prefer TomToms voices over the Garmins...but again this is just down to choice. Both have got us were we are going generally without fault...one drawback of the garmin we use...and this may just be down to a settings issue...but it gives a birds eye view when approaching some junctions which sometimes can be confusing and screen has "locked-up" on occassion when going back to normal "road view". Then have to stop, turn it off and back on again, Ok when someone with you but pain in rear if you are on your own.
Another option would also be use of a Smartphone. Most of these these days offer a map service and navigation so why buy extras if your phone can do it?
Also as regards screen mounts...they do occassionally drop off, again not good whilst navigating. Best one we have found is a dash mat than is antislip and holds in place really well sitting on dash as well as not leaving those annoying sticky circles to windows or dashboard.
Total Posts: 102
I've just found with the new Via135 that it does not have the same ability to download POIs that the Go910 had. We have ended up taking both with us. The new Via 135 for the routes because the maps are up to date and the old 910 because it has a comprehensive database of sites and facilities....
my travelling hat takes a rest at Lossiemouth.
Having used 3 different Tom Tom models over the last 6 years (and compared them with my son`s Navman & a friend`s Garmin)- I would opt for a Tom Tom every time.They are exceptionally straightforward & user friendly, re-route swiftly if you make a mistake,and have a range of voices to choose from when you set them up.My original Tom Tom 1 still does duty now & then- simple,accurate,reliable,easily updated...what more could you want?
If going away with my in-laws then my mother in law with map in hand is the best ever " sat nav " !! Our 7 year old tom-tom is not really up to the job when towing so will be looking into one of the Caravan Club sat-navs which will hopefully give us the safest route without having to turn it off and follow map instructions.
Total Posts: 51
Navgon on a smart phone 25 quid. Perfect
Page 1 of 2