Accessories

Leisure Batteries... which one do i buy?

Total Posts: 52
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
On behalf of a member.

Hi need a bit advice on what lesiure battery to get, last one has just died, need a replacment 110 amp hour that wont break the bank, it's to go in our swift conqourer which is double axel and has a mover attached, what would you recomend.
Total Posts: 39
How far do you move the caravan on the mover and do you go away without EHU? I have previously used an 85 ah battery with no ehu and had no problems with my mover going 100 yards up hill, though my caravan is only a single axle (albeit as heavy as some twins)

If you are only moving a few meters and are always on EHU then a 110 ah is a waste of money. In fact, given the current drain of a mover you may even be better using a car battery if you are always on EHU as the high current consumption of a mover is better suited to a car battery than to a leisure battery. If you are always on EHU then the low current discharge doesn't come into the equation. You should be able to get a 2nd hand car battery for £10 or a new one from about £50
Total Posts: 270
Sonic, car batteries are not designed to be used on leisure vehicles and can be damaged with the constant drain/charge cycle particularly when having been used heavily (used until almost flat) making them struggle and be time consuming to re-gain a full charge using a built in charger in the vehicle. If the member doesn't use the battery for anything other than the mover i.e. uses gas for heating & running the fridge, an 85ah 'leisure battery' should suffice (leaving aside the possible use of solar power which again isn't cheap to buy), however if it is their intention to use the van on non EHU site and not utilising the gas for heating & the fridge, a battery of at least 110ah would be recommended as this will sustain the 12v power supply for longer.
Battery prices are relative to the amount of use they are being put to, and how far the budget extends. On the well known auction site (just checked myself there are some new 110ah batteries for just over £70.00 including postage so not exactly horrendously expensive in the grand scheme of things + of course there are used ones on there also, alternatively, they could try a wanted ad on this site or their local 'gum tree' or freecycle sites. As a further alternative they could always try having a word with a local caravan dealer or repairer and see if they may have a decent second hand battery going cheap as they are seldom sold on to the next owner when caravans are traded in.
Best of luck.. Ozzy
Total Posts: 39
I see what you are saying there, Ozzy, which is why I stated that the car battery may be a better option only if you are one of those that always uses EHU.

The reverse side of your argument, as I pointed out is that the power consumption of a motor mover is actually a bit high for a leisure battery and would do a car battery less harm than a leisure battery as it is designed to handle the extra current.

One of the clubs once cut open a number of batteries and discovered that a lot of the cheaper leisure batteries were in fact a standard car battery with a different label on and a higher price tag.
Total Posts: 2
I use two 110a batteries one on the van and one in the car as spare combined with my 15watt solar panel I can last a long time with no EHU even though the wife likes to watch a lot of telly
Total Posts: 122
I use a 110a barge/ narrow boat battery which is used for starting and leisure supply on narrow boats it will last a lot longer using the mover and is faster recharging than a leisure battery in total it will stand a lot more deep cycles than a car or leisure batteries. The plates are thicker and longer and closer to the bottom of the casing than other batteries hence the price £85 delivered free. I would love to buy the Gel version of same but are Around £300/ £400, but about half the weight
Total Posts: 19
Numax leisure do a 100amp battery specialy for use with movers about £70 eccellent value RSpence
Total Posts: 228
There are very few true deep cycle batteries on the market and that is what leisure batteries are.If a battery states on it's label as having so many cold cranking amps then it is NOT a deep cycle battery.Normally deep cycle batteries are called Traction batteries like those found in golf carts etc. A very good make is Trojan however these are expensive and tend to be 6 volts so to get 12 volts you have to connect 2 in series also Trojans tend to be bigger in physical size so some modification of the battery box has to be done, but one consolation is the large capacity I have 2 --6 volt ones each with a capacity of 240 a/h these are connected in series to give 12 volts and that would obviously mean 240 a/h in total (series connection you increase the voltage and maintain the capacity, parallel connection you increase the capacity but maintain the voltage) Shop around you can get some great deals.
RCpilot why are you using two 6 volt batteries when Trojan make a 12 volt deep cycle SCS200 battery 115 Ah @20Hr 95Ah @5Hr 200min@25amps 52mins @75 amps
the battery comes with 4 wing nut terminals
As quoted page 155 August 2012 Practical Caravan Magazine Importers UK Batteries. and will fit in the normal size battery box motor home / caravan
Simple answer capacity against price, I got an excellent deal for the 6 volt Trojans I have, to get the same capacity from a 12 volt Trojan I would have had to buy 2 costing aprox £160 more. I have 2--- T125 which have a capacity of 240A/H I retain the capacity but increase the voltage by series connection. Why?
From these batteries I run a pure sine wave inverter which supplies a LED tv where the voltage converter from 240volts to 12 volts is actually inside the tv the only external plug is a 240volt one, using the inverter and the tv's internal power converter ensures that I do not spike the tv, I also use other 240 volt appliances that are not too high a wattage and using a pure sine wave inverter is as close to domestic electricity as you can get. I charge these batteries from a solar array of 260 watts feeding an MTTP controller so that I do not now ever pay hook up charges which over 10 days can run as high as £40 very expensive (this now goes towards the site fees for a week or longer) compared to even the cheapest energy supplier
I have never payed more than £2 per night hook up if not in site fee. the minium legal pitching between vans fire regs 26 1/4 feet or 8m towball to towball so I also wont pay for an awning as there is enough legal space to pitch one without having to have a bigger pitch hence further £2 a night.
reply to sandgrounder
I think you are a bit behind the times with your prices, I have just looked up prices for the Camping and Caravan club sites £3.85, cl sites between £3-4, ordinary campsites listed on the various websites again £3-4. I cannot find prices for the Caravan club as they are included in the pitch fees but I am sure they do pitches without hookup and would guess they will not be far behind what the Camping and Caravan club charges, I would hazard a guess and say that due to the recent hike in electricity prices by the energy suppliers all sites that provide an electric hookup will charge a lot more than a year ago, if not then please tell me where the sites are and we will all go there and pay £2 a day for electricity, also it is a fore gone conclusion, if anyone wants to put up an awning irreguardless of size of pitch will have to pay but thats up to the individual and fees for that vary from site to site.
I have also fitted a Gaslow refillable gas system to my van (best price from Hamilltons in Ireland) although initially expensive saves against 2 bottles of Calor lite some £27 per fillup, and there are hundreds of LPG (same gas) forecourts throughout the UK, also if you go down the route of buying one of the refillable systems before buying full Calor lite bottles your refillable system can cost aprox 50% cheaper, why, 2 full Calor Lite bottles initial purchase price over £100, and by the way don't say that you can buy empty or partial empty bottles on auction sites because what the sellers are doing is ILLEGAL, the bottles are the property of Calor and you can be prosecuted for selling them and possibly for buying them as well (receiving stolen property)