Accessories

Broadband connection

Total Posts: 7
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
Hi all

- looking at touring europe next year and wondered what the best option for a broadband connection is - we've done the dongle and looked into the mifi but I think we need a serious connection system as we want to stay in touch with the uk and plan further routes around europe whilst we're there.
Don't want to depend on campsite wifi which can be either hit and miss or expensive!
Also, don't want to be sitting outside Mcdonalds everytime I want to email someone!
The only system I've looked at briefly is around £4000 with a £350 per year subscription. Not bothered about the TV side of it, just the internet connection - any ideas to point me in the right direction would be much appreciated.
Total Posts: 1
I use a T mobile dongle in th Uk. When I go to France, I use the European add on. Very good reception wherever I have been. My contract is £10 per month(now reduced to £8) for 1 GB. The add on costs vary but I use £20 for 0.5 GB. the dongle is free with an 18 month contract. my contract expires shortly and I will be renewing at the new price of £8 per month
Total Posts: 314
I use only a dongle in uk as have no land line, on 3 & find its very good & much cheaper than a land line & ISP, costs me £15 a month for 3GB on a rolling month contract, so not tied in for more than 50 days. not used anyrging in europe, sorry
Total Posts: 7
Thanks for the replies - it was quite a relief to hear that you've used the cheaper options of dongles with some success abroad and didn't insist that the only way to go would make me about £4000 lighter. Will persevere with Tmobile dongles and maybe mifi as we have a couple of laptops we'll want to use whilst abroad.
Total Posts: 39
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't know how it would work out abroad but I have successfully tethered my laptop via WiFi to my android phone in the UK on T.Mobile. T.Mobile told me they don't charge extra for it because they say it cannot be done. I have an older contract that gives unlimited data, I think newer contracts have data limits.
Total Posts: 155
Depend on what phone you have an easy way to get access is to get a local sim card with data and use the Bluetooth feature to connect your computer and the phone works as the modem.
You will have to get your phone unlocked to use other sim cards.
This works for us all over the world.
Total Posts: 190
If you have an iPhone you can go to settings and enable hotspot, this will effectively make your phone the modem. Just be certain you are not charged for this by calling your provider first.
Total Posts: 228
You can tether your laptop to an android phone but be carefull if you have not got unlimited internet access the laptop can quickly eat up your allowance, I have just bought one of those chinese Pipo max m1 tablets, they are fantastic for the price, just need to change the language into english, easily done and get rid of the chinese pages etc, I will be getting a 3G dongle so I can surf the net etc when not at home.
Total Posts: 102
We always use site WiFi. Most European sites have free WiFi and for the amount we use it (just emails and occasional browsing) it is fine.
Total Posts: 228
Have just been on the camping and caravanning club site that has open wifi, problem was that we were at the top end of the site and the aerial in our tablets could not pick it up, however we did get a 3 network mobile wifi with 3 gb or 90 days worth of data, over the stay we only used 150mb so was more than adequate, you can top up when it runs out via the tablet for £20 for 3gb but have found that you can get a 3gb sim card from amazon for £12
Total Posts: 169
Posted: 4 years ago
went on our 2 trips abroad this year, and at each site wi-fi was free. i realise you seemingly pay more for sites in Europe, (but not a lot more). but it is nowhere in the region which c&cc sites are going to charge extra for the inclusion of wi-fi. how come they can do it so cheap in Europe