Members:

See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

Accessories

Fridge problems

Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 7 years ago
Can anyone help please. My fridge runs perfectly ok on gas and has power to the electric/12 v lights on the front but will not go cold on these two systems does anyone know why or can explain how to repair it please.
Total Posts: 270
Posted: 7 years ago
Hi Angela, sorry for the delay, just had a thought, how long did you have the fridge switched on for as even mine on my new bailey takes some time to get cold on 12v or 240v
Total Posts: 39
Posted: 6 years ago
Certainly the 12 volt side is not really going to cool the fridge from warm but is intended to keep it cool once it has already cooled. The 240 volt side is considerably more powerful though and certainly cools mine down quite quickly, at least as quick as the gas. It could well be that the 240 volt element has burnt out and possible that they have both burnt out.

The 12 volt side normally only works when connected to the car and the engine is running though and not from the leisure battery.
Total Posts: 6
I would have a look at your electric panel too and make sure you have the switches in the correct positions to allow the fridge to work on electric.

As stated above, 12v will keep a cool fridge cool but not chill it down and if you run it off your battery it will not take long to flatten it.
240v should work fine, if not check the fuses and / or mcb's.
Also double check the selector switch, I have had one fail so it does not select properly.
Total Posts: 122
Have you pressure washed your van and got water in through fridge grill. this happened to me about 6 years ago, remove outer grill pushes up to unhook,remove gas exhaust pipe /chimmey, ease glass fibre matting too one side to expose heating elements connections , push on spade connections if wet dry connections test with avo dont forget to alter avo voltage for 12 volt circuit this will tell you if your heating elements are okay for 12/240 volts. I left mine all opened up for a couple of days while running on gas. the heat from the gas and sunny weather dried out the glass fibre matting but before easing it back in place I tried frig on 240 v and it worked,( turn off ) replace matting and grill etc test again on 240 and run. tested 12v on run home with cold frig did not thaw out on journey usually there is no thermostat on 12v circuit only on 240 v also 12v usually only works when towing vehicle engine is running otherwise it would flatten car battery if stopped for long tea break or lunch, usually relay breaks connection if engine stops well mine does as I have used dedicated wiring loom made by Skoda for 13 pin socket as I have said else where in forum I converted the van from two seven pin plugs to one 13 pin plug.
Total Posts: 122
PS If your man or your self are not confident to do the testing get a electrican in to do it for you at least you will find out if your elements are ok and he will most probably find the vault for you.
Total Posts: 6
If the lights on the fridge are on to indicate it is operating on 240v but the fridge is nor getting cold then the problem is the heating element in the fridge.
Although this is not a difficult repair to undertake you need to be confident in DIY.
There is a good description on the net if you google the problem and also google the parts as they are a lot cheaper than the local dealers. i have had the same problem and successfully repaired it. Good luck
Total Posts: 102
From our experience it also depends on the outside temperature. If the fridge does not appear to be getting cold my husband first of all checks that there is warm air coming from the outside vent. This indicates that the unit is working. We have found that when we use the van in France in the summer and the temperature is over 30C it is very difficult to get it cold. If we know we are going somewhere warm we also take our separate portable Dometic compressor fridge/freezer as we can set the temperature to what we want.
Total Posts: 228
Also caravan fridges only work on 12v when the towing vehicle is connected and the engine is running, a relay protects the 12v batteries from discharging when the engine is not running.