Accessories

Television Reception

Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
Hi,
We have just spent a three week holiday in the rain and could not get TV reception apart from 2 days when we were near Barnstable and up a mountain!
Has anyone got experience of Sat TV dish and reciever equipment as the aerial on our new caravan does not seem to find any signal for receiving TV.
Total Posts: 270
Oh yes, probably a silly question but did you perform a 'factory reset' on you r TV at the new site as you may only be tuned into an 'old reception' always best to start again at each new site. As for Sat TV, tried a sat system in a plastic carry case, OK but limited capability & the suction pad wouldn't stick to the caravan. My set up now is one of my old DJ speaker stands with an old house satellite dish attached to it and a cheap satellite receiver from Argos, never had any problems tuning if you get a cheap satellite signal meter. Found this better and cheaper than any custom bought set up.
Ozzy
Total Posts: 23
is it one of the round ariels mounted on your vans roof?

if it is then we have the same problem in our new van so we just use a domestic ariel on a pole and works fine.

hope this helps. Jamie
Thanks for the suggestions, we have tried resetting the TV, aligning the aerial in the same direction as other 'vans but only very occasionally have we been able to enjoy a limited selection of programs. Glad that both of external and home made solutions work for you, but it is looking as though we will have to invest in some sort of satellite kit .Cheers
Total Posts: 88
the other part of the equation that you might be missing is did you set the ariel to the right polarity ,some areas need the rear element lying flat (i think thats main transmitters) and relay transmitters need the rear element upright .its best to look at local houses or static vans rather than other campers to get it right
Total Posts: 39
We had a spare Sky Box at home so I bought a portable dish.... still havent ever managed to get a picture! Now looking at freeview and a digital aerial, must be easier?.... We'll see

Wish me luck

~Steve~
that will work fine steve ,we have a cheap 19 inch lcd tv with built in freeview and dvd player from asda ,cost just over a £100 .and a t.v ariel on a mast can't remember the name but its a caravan one that has a fish shape .super picture every time as long as you get ariel polarity right and re-tune for your area
i tried a sattelite for my caravan but couldnt get it to align up right due to obstructions so bought an aerial from argos,stuck it on a pole,did a rescan on tv and had a great reception.
Reported
I had a similar problem which was eventually found to be caused by a faulty connection in the aerial wire. If you have a smartphone there are a few apps which show the strength of the signal and the direction to point the aerial. Just do a search for Aerial Alignment UK.
Total Posts: 56
We were away in Deepest darkest Cornwall, at a very good site Called Lower Treave, the TV reception was pig awful and as we were on a lower level we could not get any TV. I bought a Suitcase Satelite system from Maplins and once I had the dish pointing in the right direction ( i used a compass to check local Sat dishes as I had got to the point of drop kicking the Sat dish across the site) the reciever box has an inbuilt signal meter so you don't need the Maplin one they will try to sell you. My wife was very happy with the £100 well spent. You do need a fairly clear line of sight, I had ours set up on the ground, but it does come with a suction bracket so you can fix it to the roof, or another bracket for fitting to a pole. All in all I reccomend the system
Total Posts: 39
Posted: 5 years ago
I used to use the Maplin satellite suitcase all the time and never had a problem with it. With practice, I could set it up in a few minutes without a compass, just a signal meter.

Since we changed caravans to one with a Status 315 its not been used as the Status has always worked for us.
Total Posts: 155
Depending on where you tour will make a difference to the size of dish you would need.
I use a 80cm folding dish at home and in europe, and there are different receivers that will work on multiple satellites or you can take your own sky receiver if you have one.
There are also easy find systems that use red,amber,green lights on the lnb to lock onto the satellite, but these require an easy find receiver, but once set up you could Chang to your sky box if you have one.
Our dish cost 100 pounds 2 years ago.
Total Posts: 228
I used to have satellite tv in my van but found that, and this is obvious, if there are trees in the line of sight of the dish I did not get a signal. So I went back to ordinary tv, now that analogue tv has been switched off I have a tv with intergral freeview, the aerial on the van is a Status, not one of the round ones but a directional one, I use a signal finder to find the best signal which is spot on or 180 degrees out which means all I have to do is rotate the mast 180 degrees, then depending where I am press the retune button on the tv and hey presto I'm up and running
when i had my bailey ranger i found the fitted ariel awful so had an external digital arial i used, however with my new van the arial is a lot better. However i have purchased a new 20" Samsung HDLCD tv with freeview. The quality of picture and channels is 10 times better so its not always you arial which is the problem. It used to really frustrate me trying to get the right picture but now have no problems and i have been on some sites with really pad reception.
Total Posts: 72
I got a second hand sat system of eBay only cost £30 just in case any site we went on had poor tv reception and never needed to use it yet while out with the van.
Total Posts: 102
Now that most of the UK is digital TV reception we find we don't need satellite anywhere really. The sites we have visited in poor reception areas have also had relayed TV via cable connection. If going to Europe we take a Multimo satellite dish and Zehnder receiver. The dish and receiver fit into a very reasonably sized bag so easy to carry. We find this works as far down as Northern Spain around Barcelona.
Total Posts: 228
Have just found some interesting facts about the roll out of 4g internet later this year, it will affect freeview tv signals and set top boxes in some areas, Maplins are selling a filter which will put this right at £14+.
However the company bidding to supply 4g will be suppling filters to the
customers whoes tv 's are affected free of charge but wether that will apply to caravanners will have to be seen.