Accessories

generators?

Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
anyone using or had a inverter type? any advise would be great.
Total Posts: 270
Posted: 6 years ago
I've been told that some sites frown on using a generator especially if they're running for a while, if you're thinking about an inverter best to look for a pure sine wave model as it provides the cleanest power source with less chance of spiking.
Total Posts: 39
Posted: 5 years ago
A decent quality generator will set you back the best part of £1000. You can get cheap ones but they are noisy, smelly, difficult to start and give voltage spikes that damage equipment. You could go for a couple of roof mounted solar panels, led lighting and an inverter for a fraction of the cost and free to run
Total Posts: 155
There are many generators available from many places prices can be from under 100 pounds to over a thousand.
Most work on a defined rating of around 79 at 7 meters.
Away of silencing them further is to build a box at least twice the size from thick polystyrene with plenty of airflow for coolong.
Try looking on machine mart they have a decent range.
The best generators have an sine wave inverter built in so that they give a clean power supply. The cheap ones don't have this and have been known to damage electronic components, including my TV and also a lot of caravan chargers.

A few years ago, generators were a common sight on rally fields, but as solar panels and inverters have got cheaper and continue to get cheaper, solar power is quickly over taking generators in popularity. I know a few people that have fitted solar panels and haven't started their generators since, myself included.
Total Posts: 2
I manage without a generator and I use an inverter 150w which is on all the time I am in the van used for the mains lights at the front of the van and charging phones using laptop etc, I used to use it for a freeview box but bought a new led tv last year from asda works well on a 12v lead.
Did you know that most inverters use around 10% of their capacity with no load on them? Therefore your 150 watt inverter is drawing 15 watts from the battery, even with nothing running from it. It also makes sense on these grounds to use the smallest capacity inverter you can as a 100 watt inverter would consume 10 watts of power just to run with no load, whereas a 1000 watt inverter would consume 100 watts of power with no load, so powering a 20 watt appliance from a 100 watt generator would draw 10 amps, but running the same appliance from a 1000 watt inverter would consume 85 amps from the battery!
Total Posts: 102
Please look at solar panels and inverters as described above. We have stayed on a few small sites where fellow caravanners have used generators and it really is annoying even when the noise level is low as it is a constant hum. We have also stayed on the Camping and Caravanning Club site at Devizes next to the canal when narrowboat owners have had generators running and it really is disruptive.
Total Posts: 228
First of all may I say this, all electrical appliances on this earth run according to Ohm's law namely I x V = W, given 2 of the values you can work out the third I = amps V = volts and W = wattage, in the UK the wattage is normally worked out on 240 volts as that is what your domestic supply is.
The inverter that you choose to run appliances in your caravan must be of sufficient size to cope with the wattage of the appliances that you intend to run, if you run two at the same time then the sum of the wattages is whats needed otherwise the inverter will trip out due to it's safety mechanism also different manufacturers rate their inverters at a specific temperature, output decreasing as the temperature rises.
I think Sonic has got it wrong, as a rule of thumb inverters use 10% of the power load of the appliance being run, look at this http://www.enerdrive.com.au/faqs/inverter-q-a-a
So a 20W appliance on 240v would use I = W/V which would be 0.083amps as you are running it from an inverter you have got to multiply the amps by 20 to get the consumption from the battery why? 240 divided by 12 so the 20w appliance will consume 1.6 amps per hour, the inverter will use 2w of energy so that is equal to 0.16 amps in total that is 1.76 amps per hour over 24 hours thats 42.24 amps, so where the 85 amps came from I don't know.
Now then there are inverters and there are inverters, true sine wave inverters produce power as close to domestic power as possible, a lot of electrical appliances do not like the other type which are modified sine wave inverters, some electric motors just sit there and hum and do not turn, you can also damage sensitive appliances such as led tv's, computers etc.
The pure sine wave inverter that I use is a 1400w Merlin which has a 1amp no load current draw, it is powered from a battery bank that is 240a/h capacity, which is charged from at present 260w of solar panels running through a Morningstar MPPT controller, this setup enables us to boil an electric kettle about 6 times a day, run a led tv which has the voltage converter built in so is fitted with a 240v mains plug, a few hours at night, 1300w coffee machine once or twice a day and all the other electrical items normally found in a caravan.
All these items draw aprox 61amps per 24 hour period from the batteries, ok to get this far has'nt been cheap but we do a lot of caravanning where there is no hook up available so it makes sense to use it when we go to proper sites and not pay for hookups.
To run an inverter generator for 24 hours would cost aprox £12 -15 in petrol, which is more than the cost of a hookup and that is for a 900w one costing aprox £400
So there is not a sound coming from my caravan when on site