Members:

See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

Accessories

Do you think Alko Wheel locks are worth £300-400?

Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 7 years ago
Hi there,

I've noticed alot of insurers are currently asking for chassis secure wheel locks such as the alko in order to insure my van.

I just wondered if they are actually worth the money or not?

Do people find them find them hard to fit etc?

WIll aprecciate any feed back!!

Thank you,

Sean.
Total Posts: 5
As with all anti-theft devices, they are only a deterrent. The price for a cast lump of metal plus its lock and then the bolt that fits into the receiver on the caravan is just basic engineering is very high for what it costs to manufacture. With Computer aided design precision casting and computer controlled machines the items can be produced for a fraction of the retail price.
But they have to recover their court costs for another security device company producing an item that infringed Alko's patent.
security devices can be removed within a few minutes by the trained thief, the alarm disarmed whilst somebody is sorting out the wheel lock and a third person raises the jacks even if locks are fitted it again only takes them minutes to remove.
There has been several videos available on line one actually shows security camera footage of a caravan being stolen ("Theft of caravan" should bring it up). in this case an Alko wheel lock was not seen in the video and it appears that another make of wheel clamp was used.
But if you dont fit one then the insurance is not valid, so you are restricted in what you can use. Other insurance companies will allow you to use different approved locks (by them) but they can review their range of devices.
I have all the security devices fitted, plus I have a proximity alarm that when the caravan is moved from the receiver it sets off a separate alarm and voice warning.
It is something one dreads of any mobile, valuable item, it seams fair gain to some people to take other peoples property.
Remember security only deterers a possible thief.

Hi, my son has two of these that came with his twin axle van and trying to line them both up is a pain as you have to jack the van up to get them lined up, however I have a single axle and my insurance company insisted on a chassis wheel lock and named about five the alko being one and the Saracen being another, I opted for the Saracen as it is very similar and costs half the price and also comes with a hitchlock included, the other advantage with the Saracen is that you can fit it to any van that has the receiver so if you change your van you can keep your lock where as the alko is particular to the wheel on your van, as for security, as tony said they are only a deterent and to the experienced thief no van is safe. Hope this helps, Den.
I agree that a determined thief could eventually steal the van.
I have used my Alko lock for four years now without any problems- however I do have a mover fitted which makes lining up the bolt hole relatively easy, without using a jack, which is the method recommended by Alko.
However having had to change a whell last year, I could not be bothered jacking the van up just to put a lock on, especially as it fell off the jack because the handbrake was not holding!!!

good luck
Total Posts: 270
So, Alko wheel (chassis) locks, can be a right royal pain in the jacksy to try to line up when you get on site, 9 times out of 10 they're in the wrong place when you park on the site and that's on a single wheel van, trouble is, as previously stated some insurers make it a condition of insurance to have them on at all times when the van isn't connected to the towcar. Don't just buy one thinking it may fit, there are loads of lozenges for different wheel spokes.
Ozzy
Total Posts: 51
Posted: 6 years ago
When we tried to insure our new van that has steel wheels, some companies insisted on this type of lock. When we pointed out that it could not be put on as the wheels were not alloy, they just woundnt insure it. I suggest trying a different company that only wants a wheel lock.
Total Posts: 228
The alko wheel locks are really good however they can be a bit of a swine to put on, some people use a wheel jack to jack up the van to put it on, I just use my mover to position the wheel. I do not have any experience of having to remove one if the key is lost but do know that if you call out an alko technician it will cost you an arm and a leg, could be an indication of how difficult they are to remove should someone want to nick your van. I also have a tracker which alerts the monitoring centre should some one try to break in, it is connected to the alarm and will go off as soon as the alarm is triggered, anyone cuts the battery cables, winds up one of the legs or tries to switch off the alarm without the correct fob, so in fact you cannot move the van unless you take the appropriate steps.
Total Posts: 127
I use a Alko wheel secure lock it came free with the van but I don't think they a worth the money.
When I had my other caravan I look to buy a Alko wheel secure lock it was £260
to buy and when I asked what discount I get £12 off my insurance premium a year.
Regarding fitting I only have a single caravan and I find it easy to fit my caravan on the flat but if the caravan wheel is on chocks / blocks its impossible to fit I would not like to fit 2 Alko locks to a twin axle caravan.
But at the end of the day all you are doing is buying time if the thief wants your caravan what ever you use he will take it at all cost.
Total Posts: 122
Thats why the makers of other types of wheel clamps using tube or square speed frame filled the frame with concrete using black granite in the mix to blunt any saw blade or break up the disc on a battery grinder. I think the best way is to remove wheels and bolt on winter wheels Flat steel plates using none standard bolt heads. not all tea leaves carry a spare set of wheels of right type unless planned well in hand
Total Posts: 72
Many insurance companies quote a load of different accepted types of wheel looks so have a look, shop around and as long as you have done as many of the asks from the insurance company you should be OK should your caravan get stolen...
Total Posts: 88
When i bough my new caravan last year t came with an alko wheel / chassis lock fitted. Although it took some getting used to i think it is well worth the money to have one fitted . most insurance companies will give a discount if you have one one so asfter 2 to 3 years you will have almosr paid to have one. Alko are the market leaders and worth every penny
Total Posts: 15
I fully agree with Orangutang that th AL-KO wheel lock is woth every penny my insurance company gives me 5% which soon adds up over a few years
Total Posts: 2
We initially started out with a Nemesis huge heavy thing, but after a couple of weekends spoiled with DH back problems we got an Alko off good old ebay for £100. Well worth the cash, just to cut down on the back issues and the moaning lol.
i also use the alko hitch lock which is also very good, i just need the corner steady locks now which i am looking into to make the van completely safe
Total Posts: 28
Bulldog made an excellent circular one that located into the chassis hole in the Alco chassis. They had to stop production though as I was told that Alko were going to sue them as it used their chassis location hole. Fortunately I bought one before they all disappeared so no more rocking and rolling to locate the wheel security lock, and this means it can be used during motorway rest stops, it is extremly easy to fit and covers some of the wheel bolts.
Total Posts: 190
The AL KO wheels locks are great, however I fully agree with previous posts that they are a pain to fit especially as ours is a twin axle... Insurers insist on both being in place so it's jack up the van come rain or shine. Personally i consider one is plenty when combined with a tow hitch lock.
You would think by know Alko or someone else would have come up with a better locking system for the twin wheeled caravans. Maybe this is an area for someone to invent a locking unit which fits through one wheel into the chassis but has an expandable arm that locks into the other wheel but without having to lock into the chassis
Total Posts: 1
Hi, as a computers engineer i feel all these hardware anti- theft devices are nothing short of a rip off, ad a Tracker system to your van, you can get what is known as a live Tracker system which monitors your van 24hr's 7 days a week and get a notificaction if your van moves from it's current location. As for insurance, did you know your van is insured whiles it is on your vehicle covered by the vehicle insurance. My insurance company wanted over 1800 notes to insure my 2012 Hobby....nuts to that, i don't leave my van anywhere other than my home, it has a tracker, so i say boooo to all the robbing theiving insurer's.

oh just a little comment on the Elldis award, do you know Elldis told a freind of mine that all caravans leak water....mmmm well mines does not. He has just sold his and bought a new Bailey...maybe Elldis should do more to make sure their vans are watertight than trying to win awards for a safety feature, i'm sure all vans are safe, or they wouldn't get to sell them