See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

Accessories

Hard ground pegs

Total Posts: 45
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
I've recently been let down by an ebay seller over some 'Blue Diamond Pegs'.

I see there are some available through this site. There seems to be two types around, one is knock it prise out, the other type have a hexagon head, so presumably are screw in, screw out.

They're both similarly priced, I wonder if anyone's had experience of both to express a preference?
Total Posts: 228
Posted: 6 years ago
The screw pegs are great for ground that is firm but no rocks if the ground is soft or damp they can easily pull out, pegs that are hammered in are great in firm ground but require effort to get them out, in soft or damp ground will hold if put in at an angle and should be easy to get out.
i have got both so depnding on what type of ground depends on which type of peg I use
Total Posts: 122
Posted: 5 years ago
Hi RedMick I have used both types of peg you mention in your post the knock in,s make a hole same size as the outer diameter of the thread useless. the screw in,s need a 13mm socket and ratchet or socket 2inch extension and battery drill if I remember rightly. the only time I found the latter to be any good was in very heavy clay type soil. the best peg I have found for all soil types even sand is the tapered stainless steel peg made from 1.5 mm flat plate folded down the taper to about 120% angle not 90% with a 7/8mm hole drilled through about 25 mm from the top with the top 20 mm then folded at right angles to the length for knocking in. I made my own puller out of 6mm diameter stainless steel rod 75 cm long( got to watch my bad back) and a piece of old hammer handle.You can buy pullers but they are only 6 in,s long and straighten out very easily if you pull to hard on them.
Total Posts: 122
Ps forgot to mention in my post this type of peg is very easily straightend if bent using one of those hard nylon mallets with the lead shot or washers in side and a flat stone or house brick if one is handy,
My new baby
Total Posts: 51
Glad someone said about a selection of pegs, as never crossed my mind to take different sets, thanks for the advice