Accessories

Porch Awnings

Total Posts: 45
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 5 years ago
I have a Bradcot Classic full awning, which I've only used once. My wife's after us getting a porch awning. I've looked at the curvy ones with large windows and the more boxy models. Any thoughts on which is the better style, re wind and weather?

I've seen some of both styles for sale as used. Some £300+ awnings used 'a couple of times' for sub £100 WHY???

Also some, like Isabella (?) are hundreds of £s more than other brands, are they so much better? How?
Total Posts: 127
We have a kampa rally 390 which as stood up very well in all weather's we do use the kampa rally storm strap's and rear poles. But I would not recommend the kampa rally or any light weight porch awning for seasonal pitches.
Total Posts: 1
Hi RedMick

Have you looked at the inflatable porch awnings from Kampa, Sunncamp and Aireshelta? Up and ready in minutes!

Regards
John
I have looked at various inflatables, but the price is a little offputting. I am from Yorkshire after all. :-)

I'll probably be looking around at the show, then look for a used one locally. Having bought the full awning for £150 and only used it once, I'm reluctant to repeat the process.
Total Posts: 228
Just look at the tents with bendy fibre glass poles when it's windy then decide.
You need sturdy poles in bad weather and nothing else.
Yes, this was my thought too, the curvy awnings do seem to move a lot on a windy day.
No doubt someone will be along shortly to assure me that they're better at resisting wind than a 'traditional' style ??
Total Posts: 1
Bought a Kampa 260, plenty big enough for us two. Added rear poles and monsoonpoles and it seem snug, secure and safe. also have their own storm straps - just in case. Worth noting the better quality hydrostatic head of 4000mm
Total Posts: 2
Hi,

In my first year of caravanning and the expenditure that goes with it, I opted for the Royal Wessex 390 awning. I bought it new for just over £250 and have been very impressed with it. After 25 rallies and a 2 week holiday in all weather conditions (storm straps included) it is starting to show signs of general wear but is still going strong.
I can put this up singlehandedly in about 15 mins. I chose this because of the following factors 1, Price. 2, slightly more stylish with the window eyebrow. 3, cushion padding on the inner pole against the van. Overall I am extremely impressed and several others in my club have gone for the same.
I hope this helps
Total Posts: 169
Posted: 4 years ago
i bought a bradcot awning and was told the steel poles would be sturdier, and i could get aluminium poles if required. after struggling to lift the set of poles out of the van a couple of times i contacted the sales team only to be told they no longer do that style of awning and were unable to help. another expensive mistake
Total Posts: 155
Posted: 4 years ago
I have just purchased a suncamp swift 220 which was easy to put up and sturdy when it was pegged down.
With the recent bad weather in Devon I put it up, the site I am on is sheltered and have not had a problem.
It does come in different sizes as well.